British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-13, 04:21 PM

Default The sad thing about photographs...........

Hello everyone and a happy new year to you all

A while back, a good friend of mine gave me a large package of photo's which came from one family (or so he was told). He had picked them up at a car boot sale and because of the large quantity of military, particularly Navy images he thought of me The sad thing is that he has no idea who these people are and I guess that they had been through a few hands before I received them, which makes me believe that the cream had been skimmed off the top (the majority of the pictures are in poor condition).

It really got me thinking as to what would become of the photos that I have. I have a large collection of pictures relating to my Grandfathers service with the 2nd Norfolks from the 1920's, 30's & 40's. It is sad to think that at some point (once I and my children are gone) in the future, the interest, because it is out of living memory, these snaps will fall into anonymity on some boot sale table.

Anyhow, here is an picture from the collection that I have been given. the caption on the back reads;

"LEAVING GAS CHAMBER FOR OPEN-AIR GAS INSTRUCTION AND RIFLE FIRING 27-1-36"

Would I be right in assuming that these are men of "The 4th (Queen's Own) Hussars"?

Please enjoy,

Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-01-13, 05:11 PM

As someone who has been rescuing photographs from the dustbin of history for many years, usually from house clearances and car boot sales, it saddens me too that so much of our collective history is just casually tossed away. I have spent years researching my finds using every scrap of related information that I can gather. I usually ask the seller if it was a relation, it usually is, and what their name was. If I buy photograph albums I get the name of the family from the man who has cleared the house and start from there.

As to your own family items, write what you know on the back of each photograph in soft pencil (2B). Please don't just write dad or granddad as this is no use to anyone but your family. Research what you can whilst you can and if possible put the photographs in an album with your research along with any related official paperwork that is relevant to the man's service.

If you really want to ensure that it survives for the future, cultivate an interest with your children and hopefully they will treasure the photographs and pass them on to their children in turn. If they are not interested, give/sell the photographs to a collector or a museum.
Old 01-01-13, 05:26 PM

Thanks High Wood

You are right of course and this is a project that is well underway.

Another picture from the collection that I was given, this time with some clues The picture all seem to be something to do with the young lad sitting bottom left. I would guess that this photo dates from around 1940 as a couple of the Ratings (including our chap) are still wearing named tallies and the rest just "H.M.S."

Now to just try and decipher the name................

Old 01-01-13, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Thanks High Wood

You are right of course and this is a project that is well underway.

Another picture from the collection that I was given, this time with some clues The picture all seem to be something to do with the young lad sitting bottom left. I would guess that this photo dates from around 1940 as a couple of the Ratings (including our chap) are still wearing named tallies and the rest just "H.M.S."

Now to just try and decipher the name................
A nice photo and all researchable - named, so their records should still exist and note the Branch Badge in the buoy. The only problem here the time-line, as a WWII photo only 'blood relatives' can access Service Records - had they been named WWI Ratings you'd have been quids in as their records are accessable to the general public.
Old 01-01-13, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
A nice photo and all researchable - named, so their records should still exist and note the Branch Badge in the buoy. The only problem here the time-line, as a WWII photo only 'blood relatives' can access Service Records - had they been named WWI Ratings you'd have been quids in as their records are accessable to the general public.
It's funny, we were talking about WW2 records earlier. I have a 1939 dated side cap with a R. Norfolk badge in that has been there a long time. The thing is the number that has been written on the inside is from the Royal Engineers. Of course I appreciate that he could have moved from the RE to the R. Norfolks, but it is frustrating not knowing.

Am I right in the understanding that WW2 records are due to be released in 2020?
Old 02-01-13, 12:59 PM

Here is another group photo with the young lad in again (second row, third from left), this time with some sea time in.

The Stoker in the back row is wearing an H.M. PATROL VESSELS tally.

Old 02-01-13, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It's funny, we were talking about WW2 records earlier. I have a 1939 dated side cap with a R. Norfolk badge in that has been there a long time. The thing is the number that has been written on the inside is from the Royal Engineers. Of course I appreciate that he could have moved from the RE to the R. Norfolks, but it is frustrating not knowing.

Am I right in the understanding that WW2 records are due to be released in 2020?
The positive thing about regimental numbering post-1920, during WWII and after, is that the number went with you, no matter whom you served with.

As for WWII Service Records, well if the 1921 Census is anything to go by then the '100year rule' will apply. Todate, and as far as I'm aware, although I haven't cause to try - Service Records for those serving between the Wars aren't even available.

Hundreds perhaps thousands may have re-enlisted post-WWI or enlisted normally during those years, but access is again limited to 'blood relatives'. For those of us who are into WWI records, we really haven't a clue as to what numbers of records we're looking at, which could expand the 'Burnt' and 'Pension' records by a considerable number.

PS - Another nice photo and you're possibly looking at a Patrol Vessels crew with that one.
Old 02-01-13, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
The positive thing about regimental numbering post-1920, during WWII and after, is that the number went with you, no matter whom you served with.

As for WWII Service Records, well if the 1921 Census is anything to go by then the '100year rule' will apply. Todate, and as far as I'm aware, although I haven't cause to try - Service Records for those serving between the Wars aren't even available.

Hundreds perhaps thousands may have re-enlisted post-WWI or enlisted normally during those years, but access is again limited to 'blood relatives'. For those of us who are into WWI records, we really haven't a clue as to what numbers of records we're looking at, which could expand the 'Burnt' and 'Pension' records by a considerable number.

PS - Another nice photo and you're possibly looking at a Patrol Vessels crew with that one.
Thank you Graham

The release of the WW1 MIC's, service and pension records online have been a blessing. I also collect WW1 medals and half the enjoyment is the research.

You are spot on about Patrol Vessels.

The first picture is captioned "2 days off Gib (No1 & Skip)"

I can't quite make out the plaque on the bridge, but it could be No 37 and 1944.

The second picture is "Singapore harbour 15/10/45"

Old 02-01-13, 05:12 PM

Another picture of our lad, this time I think as a Sea Cadet. I can't make out the tallies, but I think they are all a little young to be "three badgers".

Note the lad at the back (bugler) who has a marksmans badge on his right cuff.

Old 02-01-13, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone and a happy new year to you all

A while back, a good friend of mine gave me a large package of photo's which came from one family (or so he was told). He had picked them up at a car boot sale and because of the large quantity of military, particularly Navy images he thought of me The sad thing is that he has no idea who these people are and I guess that they had been through a few hands before I received them, which makes me believe that the cream had been skimmed off the top (the majority of the pictures are in poor condition).

It really got me thinking as to what would become of the photos that I have. I have a large collection of pictures relating to my Grandfathers service with the 2nd Norfolks from the 1920's, 30's & 40's. It is sad to think that at some point (once I and my children are gone) in the future, the interest, because it is out of living memory, these snaps will fall into anonymity on some boot sale table.

Anyhow, here is an picture from the collection that I have been given. the caption on the back reads;

"LEAVING GAS CHAMBER FOR OPEN-AIR GAS INSTRUCTION AND RIFLE FIRING 27-1-36"

Would I be right in assuming that these are men of "The 4th (Queen's Own) Hussars"?

Please enjoy,

Andy
Andy,
Cap badge looks like the 4th Hussars and the Regiment was mechanised in 1936. These guys seem to be in the typical working dress of that period. i.e. brownish collarless overalls and SD caps with the leather cavalry bandolier. Great natural photograph, thanks for posting.

Tim
Old 02-01-13, 05:59 PM

I will post one more photo from the collection, although there are many more.

A great image and sadly no caption on the back. Any Ideas?

Old 02-01-13, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I will post one more photo from the collection, although there are many more.

A great image and sadly no caption on the back. Any Ideas?
Definately 'Donkey Whallopers' - hence the swords and more than likely India - the Jewel in the Crown c.1930's
Old 02-01-13, 08:01 PM

Sorry, just one more before I log off..........

As I said a lot of the photo's are in poor condition, but this one has got me puzzled

Again, any ideas? No clues on the back I'm afraid (just someone's accounting and the printed number 0216 I think?)

Thanks, you have all been most helpful

Old 02-01-13, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, just one more before I log off..........

As I said a lot of the photo's are in poor condition, but this one has got me puzzled

Again, any ideas? No clues on the back I'm afraid (just someone's accounting and the printed number 0216 I think?)

Thanks, you have all been most helpful
A very smart Lance Corporal of the Hussars or more likely Yeomanry in a blue Patrol jacket with shoulder chain mail and Bedford Cord riding breeches (pantaloons). Looks like a good conduct stripe on the lower left sleeve?

Tim
Old 19-09-15, 08:42 PM

I know it is an old thread, but as the picture came from the same collection, I thought it should be tagged on here. Anyone care to suggest what this cap badge is? I have an idea, but would like to here what others think.

There are still a lot of interesting photo's with this lot. Not all pictures have badges in, but I will post some more if the interest is there.

Anyhow, back to the subject matter.........

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:24 PM.