British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-17, 10:53 AM

Default Photo Of 11th Essex Regt Somme Fatality Turns Up In Transylvania.

I post this thread because I'm feeling a little pleased with myself.
I was searching online re. army berets, and a link took me to this photograph on ebay as the seller had included "beret" in his heading of "Elegant man, suit, beret, hat, old photo".
There is no beret shown in the photo.
The photo was located in Transylvania, Roumania.
I bought it as I know who the man in the photo is...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img839.jpg (57.6 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 03-06-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 11:24 AM

Twenty-odd years ago I bought this photo and some newspaper clippings, it is of a Long Sutton, Lincolnshire born man who settled in Whittlesea, a Fenland town now in Cambridgeshire.
On Sunday 15th October 1916 he "disappeared" when his battalion, the 11th Essex, attacked Misty & Cloudy Trenches, bombing along the Guedecourt - Beaulencourt Road and entering the German lines during the Battle of the Transloy Ridges, Battle of the Somme.
Part of the battalion made it into the lines of German trenches but were cut off by German counter attacks along the lines of trenches that the Essex had taken, another British battalion failing to advance far enough to secure their flank.
On 29th December 1917 the Red Cross wrote to inform his widow that it was concluded that he had lost his life at the time he went missing.

The photo always stuck in my mind, a poor, awkward looking lad in a stiff pose, wearing hand me down Sunday best, who never lived to see his four sons (& their half brother) go off to fight in WWII, serving in a variety of theatres of war.

The eldest son, bearing the same name as his dad, died as a POW in Japan.
His mother continually sent him letters and postcards, only to find out that she'd been sending them to a man who'd been dead for years.

Anyway, I'm pleased to have this duplicate of the photograph and in such unusual circumstances - I hadn't seen the original one that I have for about 10 years or so, but as I say, the image always stuck in my mind.

So far I've failed to find out how my "new" photograph turned up in Transylvania.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img840.jpg (119.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg img838.jpg (55.9 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 03-06-17 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 12:40 PM

Wonderful story, one can let the mind wander as to how this young mans photo ended up in Transylvania.
Old 04-07-17, 05:22 PM

A large framed photograph that I've had for years - the same man in uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170704_181912.jpg (18.7 KB, 44 views)