British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-05-17, 09:45 AM

Default WW1 Voluntary Aid Detachment?

I have never seen any documentation of these badges and would be interested in any comments. The WW2 VAD badges are well known (we had a thread on them a week or two ago), and these badges are very similar in design to the WW1 AAMC badges. Were they civilian lapel badges or worn with an army type uniform?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vadENAM.jpg (70.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg brassVAD.jpg (44.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-05-17, 12:41 PM

Default VAD

Not my normal area of interest but... My understanding of VAD were that from WW1, in England, they were raised by the British Red Cross Association, St. John's Ambulance Association, and very occasionally directly by County TF Associations, although the latter recognised them on behalf of the War Office. I'm unsure if St. Andrew's were involved in Scotland. As such I thought that the normal Red Cross or St John's uniforms were worn, and until you posted the photos I hadn't noted them previously.

My sole reference to VAD Dress is from 29.02.32. Army Order 26: Grant of bar brooch to mobile VAD and Military Hospitals Reserve upon completion of 12 years active and efficient service, on or after 01.01.31.

I shall watch, and learn as this thread progresses.

Stephen.
Old 04-05-17, 08:25 PM

I used to have an example of the British version of the bar brooch, there was also an Australian version shown on the diggers site
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VAD badge.jpg (57.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg vad-long-serve.jpg (25.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg post-145-0-11551900-1379178723.jpg (96.4 KB, 9 views)

Jerry
Old 05-05-17, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the scans, still not clear whether the star badges were worn on a cap or lapel, or whether they were actually Australian WW1.
The British WW1 VAD cap badge should be well documented. Can anyone post a picture?