British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-17, 12:32 PM

Default 3 RTR Cap Badges

From a group of badges recently acquired. Badge #3, I feel good about. It has a slider marked Buttons Ltd Bham, From the makers mark link this may be post war maker mark. Sure has a look of being there, well loved and polished. #2 is a heavier cast badge, it has possibilities. #1 has a finish on it that approximates an OSD, not so sure on this one. Would be interested to hear others opinions.

thanks to all
Jack

Old 28-06-17, 01:45 PM

Hi Jack, your#2 badge is a copy of what I think is the second pattern right facing w/m badge. There were Indian manufactured badges of the left facing badge but non that I know of the R/F type. I have one the same as yours other than having a slider and I've kept it as an example of a copy. The #1 badge I have examples which are much crisper in plated brass and w/m. Yours appears to be a latter manufacture as the die appears to be worn. As to why it has a brown finish, I can only guess. Maybe the brass showed through and someone thought it was an officers' bronze badge, which doesn't exist as an issue item, or some one tarted it up. I do have a cast copy which has gilded wreath and crown but not a bronze version. Your#3 badge is as you say post war and good. You say in your quote we must make our mistakes quickly, this obviously does not appear to apply to the War Office. In 1924 they had slidered Tank badges and had to replace them because of breakages, they insisted again post war and eventually accepted that they do not work and went back to lugs, hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask if any of this is unclear, best wishes Mike

Last edited by fearnaught; 28-06-17 at 09:00 PM. Reason: wrong numbers
Old 28-06-17, 05:21 PM

Thanks Mike,

On badge #2, is the badge under the finish Ok, meaning if the finish were removed it would then be correct?

Jack
Old 29-06-17, 09:19 AM

Hi Jack, sorry for getting the number order wrong, if the bronze finish was removed it could be OK, but why was it bronzed? Fakers tend to produce different finishes on their badges to sell more or at a premium. I think this is probably a restrike, best wishes Mike