British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-11, 10:36 PM

Default GOOD DECISION?

I take it this was a good decision not to go for this one.........I hope so

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1436wt_1111

Simon.
Old 04-08-11, 10:39 PM
Banned

Someone has ! 1 bid at £64.99. Why ? David
Old 04-08-11, 10:43 PM

Well, I looked through the forum and from the threads on this one it didn't ring right to me. The outer flange was wide, and the stem was short and not tapered. And something I didn't like was the lingers on the hand. But you know how it is, second guessing oneself.

Simon.
Old 04-08-11, 11:07 PM

These are so tough to gauge, and I still believe there were more die variations than those stated as "genuine". I have a brass version with a shorter stem, and it just feels so right. No substitute for that.

The consensus seems to be the stubby stem version is fake. The same as this one. There are other pointers, but as I have suggested before, conjecture.

At best, I'd be 50/50 on this one. If real, the price is fair. My guess is others are not so sure either.

The size is the secret I reckon. I'd be interested to know what the dimensions of this one are..... also the weight.
Old 05-08-11, 12:27 AM

Some people out there with more money than sence have a lot to learn when it comes to badge's.
Old 05-08-11, 12:48 AM

I like the badge but don't like the price!
Eddie
Old 05-08-11, 01:38 AM

I don't have a problem with the price, for a real one I'd drop twice that. It's just getting the right one.

Simon.
Old 05-08-11, 06:01 AM
Former Member

Simon,
not one I would have splashed out on! Although the detail and braze look good, there is not a lot of age in that slider?

or if you collect sliddered badges, you could of gone for this one, it's even been polished a bit????

Andy
Old 05-08-11, 12:20 PM

Hi Andy, yes; the braze being the only positive for me on this one. I really was wishing it was a good one, not saying it isn't still, but I didn't want to drop a 100+ and it be under question for the rest of my day's in a frame on the wall.

I know this is silly, but if anyone does come across one......let me know..

Regards to all and if I don't chat with any of you have a good weekend.

Simon
Old 05-08-11, 03:17 PM

These badges are a mine field. I've given up trying to decide what is real or not. I got an original off an old veteran and family friend John Boyd 30 years ago. It was slated on here but is 100% genuine. It has a slightly fat and short stalk.

I now really believe that the "fat stalk it's rubbish" view is bogus. I've seen so many really good examples to condem them as crap. There are really bad fakes and the cause of the fat stalk wasn't helped by the large batch of known fakes doing the rounds, but to dismiss them all is a folly.
Old 05-08-11, 04:56 PM

I would usually tend to ignore these ones on ebay as they are faked to death, however, if I had known about this one, I might have taken a gamble on it, mostly on the basis of the good reputation of the seller. I would love to have a good one of these. I hope that whoever bought it got a good one. If it is a good one, the price they paid is pretty reasonable.

John
Old 05-08-11, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
These badges are a mine field. I've given up trying to decide what is real or not. I got an original off an old veteran and family friend John Boyd 30 years ago. It was slated on here but is 100% genuine. It has a slightly fat and short stalk.

I now really believe that the "fat stalk it's rubbish" view is bogus. I've seen so many really good examples to condem them as crap. There are really bad fakes and the cause of the fat stalk wasn't helped by the large batch of known fakes doing the rounds, but to dismiss them all is a folly.
This has been said before, and I agree 100%. Some of the books have "stubby stalks". Not to say they are always correct, but they can't all be fake.