British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-11, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
The young lad in the middle has probably not started shaving yet!
I don't agre with this sentence. I am 15 and need to tame my mustache and goatie every two days. He just has a shaven face.
Old 17-08-11, 11:18 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Jansen View Post
I don't agre with this sentence. I am 15 and need to tame my mustache and goatie every two days. He just has a shaven face.
Robin,

sorry it was a bit of humour! All soldiers are required to shave as part of "In Barracks" routine, even those with bum fluff!

Andy
Old 17-08-11, 11:38 AM
Banned

firing range bagram.jpg

Australian SF's in Afghanistan. Beards and long hair are common on operations today.
Old 17-08-11, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Pnr Sgts are 100% regular soldiers and the growing of a beard is a personal choice which they are allowed to make! Beards are now common on operations and not just SF units! Clean shaven used to be the order of the day when the spectre of "Ivan the Gasman" was on the horizon and a good seal was required on ones Respirator (Gas Mask).

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/imag...nz81856449.jpg - Kiwis I admit, but nevertheless they have the same high standards as other Armies! The young lad in the middle has probably not started shaving yet!

Goat Major is an appointment usually held by a member of the Corps of Drums, who are again 100% regular and often dual trained as either Assault Pioneers or Machine Gunners.

The Pnr Sgt was a key player in the Quartermasters team with Bns often having a well equiped Pioneer Shop, a bit like a small carpentry workshop. He would be the Regiments "Tommy Walsh" with many DIY skills, carpentry, sign writing, locksmith and anything else that could be fixed on site! A lot of this has now been taken over by civvie contractors (shame!).
So, how do you get a seal using a respirator if you have a full-set ? Or don't we equip our forces with respirators ? David
Old 17-08-11, 02:21 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
So, how do you get a seal using a respirator if you have a full-set ? Or don't we equip our forces with respirators ? David
David,
you don't is the simple answer! The threat of "Gas Attack" is pretty low, so go unshaven "At Risk"!

Andy
Old 17-08-11, 02:36 PM

An L.F. Fur cap grenade and a drum sling badge for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 421.jpg (46.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 422.jpg (55.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by BILL DUGGAN; 17-08-11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 18-08-11, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL DUGGAN View Post
I agree it may be a pioneer apron badge. However this still doesn't explain why it is being sold as a Royal Northumberland Fusiliers item.

Nor does it explain why it has had such wear from daily polishing for an item that is only drawn out of the Q.M's store a few times every year for ceremonial purposes.

It looks to me like it has been doctored to deceive and the Northumberland description, I think supports this.

I'm sorry if this upsets somebody but it's my opinion. (I shall not be bidding)
It's simply because the seller doesn't know any better and any RNF items fetch a bigger price.
Old 18-08-11, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Bill - I agree entirely with your comments. I have seen these in both gilded metal and white metal and the vast majority are out and out fakes ! David
Not quite true with the latter, as one of the battalion C/O's had some silver plated. I have a large collection of RRF stuff all of which came from within the Regiment itself.

The first pattern RRF grenades were made abroad and basically crap, there were no real defining features to them as you'd find with a UK manufacturer and so they already had a worn appearence before they even got a polish and then they were worn for the best part of nearly thirty years to my knowledge.

The RRF Pioneer Sgt doesn't appear to have had Dress Regs as guide, nor do my copies of Standing Orders for the Northumberlands for 1900, 1911 & 1916 give and indication of Dress for the same. However one Paragraph does say;- "The Pioneer Sgt must be able to write a legible hand, and to keep the accounts".
Old 18-08-11, 10:19 PM

In the Ghan it's a hearts and minds thing.... bearded men are perceived better by the locals, a cultural thing where status and knowledge are conveyed through such things.... so many soldiers choose to grow a beard for such reasons, or so I was informed by a jimmy.... it aparently helps when parleying with the natives.

Tom