British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-16, 05:38 AM

Default Defence Guard Service Gibraltar

This badge recently came my way. Not sure when it came into use. I do know that civilian guards replaced the Gibraltar Defence/Services Police at many static positions several years ago. I've never quite been able to understand the logic of the MoD having badges made with the "Gibraltar" designation. Why they don't simply use the UK versions for their police and civvy guards is beyond me. Still, I suppose it keeps us collectors happy with variations, as indeed the MoD have done for many years! I suspect they've had matching lapel badges made also although I've not seen them.

Dave.

Ps. For those especially interested in backmarks, this one is marked on the slider "FIRMIN" in block caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Defence Guasrd Service Gib..jpg (72.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 08-10-16, 07:52 AM

Thanks for showing this, very interesting, another one to put on the wants list.
Old 08-10-16, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Thanks for showing this, very interesting, another one to put on the wants list.
Already looking, Phil.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 06-11-16, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
This badge recently came my way. Not sure when it came into use. I do know that civilian guards replaced the Gibraltar Defence/Services Police at many static positions several years ago. I've never quite been able to understand the logic of the MoD having badges made with the "Gibraltar" designation. Why they don't simply use the UK versions for their police and civvy guards is beyond me. Still, I suppose it keeps us collectors happy with variations, as indeed the MoD have done for many years! I suspect they've had matching lapel badges made also although I've not seen them.

Dave.

Ps. For those especially interested in backmarks, this one is marked on the slider "FIRMIN" in block caps.

Hi Dave,

Not heard of this one - could it be one of local designation and not MoD?

Can you confirm maker mark - is it just FIRMIN or is there a diamond shape before and after the FIRMIN word?

Regards

Chris
Old 06-11-16, 08:56 PM

Chris,

Without doubt MoD. They are come under the control of the Gib. Defence Police and are paid by the MoD. That said, I can't advise as to who had the badges made. Whether that was done locally or through the MoD purchasing system I know not. The backmark (see attached photo) is "FIRMIN". No diamonds.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6498.jpg (36.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-11-16, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Chris,

Without doubt MoD. They are come under the control of the Gib. Defence Police and are paid by the MoD. That said, I can't advise as to who had the badges made. Whether that was done locally or through the MoD purchasing system I know not. The backmark (see attached photo) is "FIRMIN". No diamonds.

Dave.
Thanks Dave,

Another for me to obtain - looks like a queue is forming!

Regards,

Chris
Old 17-12-17, 07:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Taking things a step further.

Does anyone have a copy of JSP768 (or any other official info) which contains badges related to:

Gibraltar Defence Police
Defence Guard Service Gibraltar

I note that the Gibraltar Services Police (replaced by Gibraltar Defence Police in 2009) is still in edition 2014.

Regards,

Chris