British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-18, 10:30 AM

Default African colony's artillery

Hello all. I have Arty badges from 22 Commonwealth countries and colonies and because I've never seen any I am wondering if anyone can help answer my question: that is, did African countries like Tanzania, and Uganda and (former) Rhodesia have artillery badges? I have 2 from Kenya with the shield over the gun wheel and some from Zambia but haven't seen these other 3 countries. I know they had artillery because I've seen photos of gun salutes for parades but the uniforms weren't clear.
Regards, sniperbait
Old 19-01-18, 11:36 AM

Southern Rhodesia Artillery - standard beret sized RA badge with Ubique in the top scroll, Southern Rhodesia Artillery in the bottom scroll, and the crown replaced by a lion and tusk. In use possibly 1947-1956, and subsequently in use up to 1980.

I'm not sure what they wore as Rhodesia and Nyasaland Artillery. The history of the artillery of Southern Rhodesia 1939-45 shows the standard RA badge. I think the Southern Rhodesia Light Battery wore a large collar grenade with RHODESIA in the scroll on their coloured FS caps.

I can't help with Tanzania and Uganda, I haven't seen any myself either.

Regards, Keith
Old 20-01-18, 06:28 AM

Default African artillery

Well now it seems I have a project: find a Southern Rhodesia Artillery badge for my collection.
Old 20-01-18, 07:24 AM

James at Southern Africa Militaria has a couple for sale, he's easy to deal with and I think takes paypal now.

http://www.samilitaria.com/SAM/Trade...CO3023%20a.JPG

Keith
Old 20-01-18, 08:30 AM

Default I made a mistake

Was just looking through my collection and I found I already had 5 variants. It's all a bit too much for my charge 7 shell shocked brain to recall everything. But at least my hearing's still good!

Last edited by sniperbait; 20-01-18 at 08:45 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 26-02-18, 07:33 PM

I am an avid collector of Rhodesian and other insignia and thought that these badge cards I use to keep track of what is in the collection, may be of use. I have similar cards for the South African arty as well if they are of interest. Regards. Dudley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRA.jpg (100.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Rh Arty.jpg (97.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 27-02-18, 05:55 AM

Thanks Dudley. Do you have a photograph of the rear of the Rhodesian made SRA hat badge.
Thanks, Keith
Old 27-02-18, 12:31 PM

Hullo Keith

I am not at home at present but when I have an opportunity to scan the badge I will do so. Suffice to say that the Rhodesian made badge was made by a company owned by a bloke called Reuteler, who was in the then capital, Salisbury. The Rhodesian badges have distinctive lugs on the back that have larger more oval loops than the traditional British type.

Regards.

Dudley
Old 27-02-18, 05:24 PM

Thanks Dudley, it was actually the lugs I was curious about and that has probably answered my question. Regards, Keith