British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-10-16, 09:11 PM

Default Some thing you dont see every day

To celebrate the one year anniversary of his section.
1915 Trench cap made in Australia as worn in Gallipoli and Western front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5560.jpg (73.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5561.jpg (77.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5566.jpg (47.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5562.jpg (64.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 21-10-16, 02:41 AM

Johnny Morgan was apparently the trading name of a Morgan Kenny who sold uniform and badges in defiance of the law during the Great War, being prosecuted time after time. There is a file digitized on the NAA site with his name in it - Johnnie Morgan is the way it is spelt in the title.

Quite interesting reading particularly page 40 where reference is made to him selling a badge for the Australian Flying Corps that resembled no badge that the military authorities were aware of but the whole of the recent reinforcements for the AFC had turned up wearing them. Unfortunately the attached example has 'disappeared' from the file but I wonder if it was the half-wing in wreath with the letters AFC under it that appears on a photo of a member of 4 Sqn AFC on his embarkation. See the SLSA collection of photographs of WW1 blokes.
Keith
Old 21-10-16, 06:35 AM

Very interesting thread. Many thanks.
Old 21-10-16, 06:45 AM

Keith are you able to put a link to the photo or post it.

Thanks
Old 21-10-16, 08:03 AM

Sorry to be so long, there's 30 pages of images but this is the one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/state-.../pool-slsaww1/

Just in case the link doesn't work it is SRSA ref GRG26/5/4/1243, the guy's name is Alexander CALDWELL

Years ago Peter Coleman had this photo and Jeff Cossum used a copy in his cloth book I think. Only saw it on this site the other day when I dug up the photo of the tank crewman.

Awesome photo this one, note the clear shoulder title as well.

Which leads to the $64,000 question - you're walking through Melbourne with another collector and in the window of an antique shop you see one of these badges. Do you -

A), point it out to your fellow collector and both walk away laughing at the gullible AIF blokes who bought this fantasy patch off a trinket dealer and were made to take it off as soon as they turned up with it, or
B) point out some hot bird across the road to your mate and while he is distracted slip into the shop and lay your grubby hands on your wallet and the patch?

It wasn't a real badge after all was it? Interesting thought, but I know what I'd do.

If you get the chance to look through the Great War soldiers' images on the State Library of South Australia site do so, it's amazing some of the badges and colour patches these guys are wearing and I don't think I have seen so many variations of signallers' crossed flags!

Cheers, Keith

Last edited by fairlie63; 21-10-16 at 08:43 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 21-10-16, 08:24 AM

Super officer Cor Blimey cap first I have seen made in Australia. Many thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
Old 21-10-16, 08:56 AM

Thanks Keith ,I shall go through those tonite as I love photos and that's a name I have not heard in a long time PC.

Cheers mate

Last edited by Jackhr; 21-10-16 at 09:21 AM.
Old 22-10-16, 07:35 AM

Keith thanks for posting the link to the site the photos are brilliant ,to see so many different pieces of uniforms and badges are fantastic do the other states have sites like the SA one?

Thanks mate
Old 22-10-16, 09:43 AM

I'm not sure Jack, SLV has got a lot of military photos but I haven't yet looked at their full site. Keith
Old 22-10-16, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Which leads to the $64,000 question - you're walking through Melbourne with another collector and in the window of an antique shop you see one of these badges. Do you -

A), point it out to your fellow collector and both walk away laughing at the gullible AIF blokes who bought this fantasy patch off a trinket dealer and were made to take it off as soon as they turned up with it, or
B) point out some hot bird across the road to your mate and while he is distracted slip into the shop and lay your grubby hands on your wallet and the patch?
To be quite honest mate my chances of ever visiting Australia greatly diminished after reading about the guy who has been bitten on his genitalia by a spider TWICE in one year (though hopefully not by the same spider).

But as I collect police badges I’d go with ‘A’, and follow the scorch marks on the pavement into the shop in the hopes there might be some old bill stuff as well.

Your point is well made though, how many of those collecting during the Viet Nam War, for example, wish they had paid more attention to locally made insignia (cloth and metal) that regularly command high prices?

Regards

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 22-10-16, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
To be quite honest mate my chances of ever visiting Australia greatly diminished after reading about the guy who has been bitten on his genitalia by a spider TWICE in one year (though hopefully not by the same spider).

But as I collect police badges I’d go with ‘A’, and follow the scorch marks on the pavement into the shop in the hopes there might be some old bill stuff as well.

Your point is well made though, how many of those collecting during the Viet Nam War, for example, wish they had paid more attention to locally made insignia (cloth and metal) that regularly command high prices?

Regards

Graham
Personally I'd be worried about any sort of bloke who keeps exposing his genitalia to spiders regardless of nationality!! But true, we grow up on stories about the redbacks under the toilet seat in outdoor dunnies, always worth checking first.
Old 23-10-16, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
A truly rare cap, great to see it, probably the only example I'll ever see.

Jerry