British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-16, 11:06 PM

Cool Badge prices

I have noticed just recently that badge prices seem to be at an all time high, whether this is a "blip" or shades of the future I am not sure.

I recently went to an auction locally which was incidently online and was totally amazed by the price realised of a lot of 90 badges, not all cap, but collar and shoulder titles which also had IMO a fair share of modern copies.

The bottom line was that these badges made £10 each by my basic maths after all was said and done.

Needless to say this was sold to a buyer who bid online, the estimate for this lot was £100-£200 which again IMO was more realistic.

So are badges getting more scarce or desirable, badges seem to go for high prices on ebay as well.

Opinions welcomed

Rob
Old 23-10-16, 07:54 AM

Hello Rob

Could this be the impact of the First World War commemorations?

I'm not sure about badges but most 'standard' buttons I see on places like ebay are being advertised as "World War One Period" when clearly the vast majority of them had a much longer life span.

It seems to me that a lot more of the general public are becoming interested in the buttons, badges and so on worn by their ancestors that sales of "World War One" items must have increased and this must have pushed prices up for those items.

Is this having a knock on effect on the rest of the badge collecting world? What is going to happen once we get past '1918' and the general public loses interest?

Just a few thoughts!

Roger

Last edited by Cribyn; 23-10-16 at 10:08 AM. Reason: corrected grammar!
Old 23-10-16, 08:18 AM

Lots of cheap buttons and badges I hope!
Old 23-10-16, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I suspect it has more to do with the proliferation of on-line dealers. Lots more have set up and they can only get stock from the same sources as you. Badges on ebay are bought by the same buyers and then reappear on SMM or their websites soon after.

However you only have to look at the size of some dealers stock lists to see that their prices are not always attractive. The best quality will always sell but when you are asking £10+ for a common line infantry badge.....
Old 23-10-16, 11:15 AM

Cool Price hike

Well, I must say that the Great War centenary may have something to do with badge price rises, but I wonder whether low interest rates could also have some bearing, this lot was estimated IMO about right, but maybe someone was making an investment for the future although apart from an Italian fascist badge there was little I could see worth over £200.

Rob