British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-16, 01:20 PM

Default Volunteer Force 1916-1921

I was under the impression that in October of 1916, the WO announced that in place of previously worn VTC collar badges, officers of the newly formed Volunteer Force, were to wear the letter 'V' on the collar.

The photo below shows what appears to be men of the VF, partaking of a little high tea (biscuits, bread, cheese, pears) and with the officer wearing GS collars above a 'V'.

As has been said many a time, never say never, and I am certain there were always exceptions to hard-and-fast clothing regs, particularly when it came to wartime supply. Were GS collars widely worn above the 'V' among VF officers?

Regards,

JT

IMG_7583.jpg IMG_7584.jpg IMG_7599.jpg
Old 19-10-16, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
I was under the impression that in October of 1916, the WO announced that in place of previously worn VTC collar badges, officers of the newly formed Volunteer Force, were to wear the letter 'V' on the collar.

The photo below shows what appears to be men of the VF, partaking of a little high tea (biscuits, bread, cheese, pears) and with the officer wearing GS collars above a 'V'.

As has been said many a time, never say never, and I am certain there were always exceptions to hard-and-fast clothing regs, particularly when it came to wartime supply. Were GS collars widely worn above the 'V' among VF officers?

Regards,

JT

Attachment 158211 Attachment 158212 Attachment 158213

JT,

In a word, "YES".

That became the VF badge both cap and collars. The addition of the 'V' underneath is correct.

As an aside is that photo taken just below one of the bridges across to Anglesey, it looks like one I sold.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 19-10-16, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
JT,

In a word, "YES".

That became the VF badge both cap and collars. The addition of the 'V' underneath is correct.

As an aside is that photo taken just below one of the bridges across to Anglesey, it looks like one I sold.

regards
Thanks, Simon.

Whilst I was aware that the VF wore the GS cap badge, I hadn't seen images of them wearing GS collars previously, and certainly not being worn in conjunction with the 'V'. I thought perhaps only the 'V' was standard practice with regard to VF collars.

Always nice to come across such images - invaluable in my opinion.

Thanks again.

JT.
Old 20-10-16, 07:56 PM

scan0007.jpg
Hope this loads up OK, as it's taken from the May 1917 copy of "The Luton Volunteer Gazette", which was the magazine of the 2nd Bn, Bedfordshire Volunteer Regt and clearly shows the addition of the 'V' with the bronzed G.S. collar badges, contrary to ACI's and the wearing of the 'V' alone.

On becoming Volunteer Battalions a year later and the introduction of collar badges as worn by 'regular' units, the 'V' was again worn below them.
Old 20-10-16, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 158288
Hope this loads up OK, as it's taken from the May 1917 copy of "The Luton Volunteer Gazette", which was the magazine of the 2nd Bn, Bedfordshire Volunteer Regt and clearly shows the addition of the 'V' with the bronzed G.S. collar badges, contrary to ACI's and the wearing of the 'V' alone.

On becoming Volunteer Battalions a year later and the introduction of collar badges as worn by 'regular' units, the 'V' was again worn below them.
Thanks Graham. Nice to see another image of the collars being worn with the 'V'.

JT
Old 20-10-16, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Thanks Graham. Nice to see another image of the collars being worn with the 'V'.

JT
I have nearly a full run of these Gazettes for 1917, which has photos of officers reproduced in nearly everyone of them and all wear the 'V' below the G.S. collars.

I'll try and reproduce a photo I have of the Northamptonshires in 1918 wearing the 'V' with their collar badges.
Old 20-10-16, 08:53 PM

Northants V.R..jpgNorthants V.R. - Copy (Copy).jpg

Lancs V.R..jpgLancs V.R. - Copy (Copy).jpg

Don't know how well these ones will reproduce, but the upper photo shows a group of Northamptonshire Volunteer Regt, with the officers wearing Northants collars and the 'V' below, which I've tried to enlarge.

The lower photo is a shooting team of Lancashire Volunteer Regt, showing the officer wearing just the 'V', as instructed in Volunteer Orders, again hopefully enlarged to view.

Tags
volunteer force, vtc