British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-14, 02:38 PM

Default POW artefact

Among my various Prisoner of War items is this small trinket carved out of mother of pearl. It may not be military at all, however I keep having a sneaking feeling otherwise. Could very well have been fashioned out of memory.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POW artefact.jpg (52.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 23-11-14, 04:43 PM

Many POWs had tremendous skills, hence the elaborate escape methods they worked out - German as well as allied. My mother told me of her experiences when she and her friends would pass small pieces of wood through the wire of the POW camp and the Germans would carve chess pieces or little dolls from them and put them back through the wire when they were finished.

So, taking that as an example, I don't see why your artefact wasn't carved by a POW.
Old 23-11-14, 05:10 PM

Thanks, Hussar, for your input.
I think there may be a bit of misunderstanding though. I have no doubts that the artefact was fashioned by a POW. What I was referring to was whether the artefact could have been meant to represent a military insignia of sorts. Although at first glance the item doesn't resemble any known British insignia, yet the POW artisan could well have been fashioning it from a past memory of contact with a badge/award, not necessarily British.
Coming back to POW items, there were German and Italian prisoners held in camps on Malta during both world wars and they were very industrious, turning out a variety of fascinating artefacts which they would barter for cigarettes, food, etc. Most of the items were carved from the soft Maltese limestone, such as frames, vases, caskets, etc, however WW2 provided new material (perspex and aluminium) from the many downed aircraft.
GTB
Old 23-11-14, 05:27 PM

I see what you mean mate but no, in my honest opinion, it's a trinket and designed to be so.