British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-17, 03:56 PM

Default Any hope for this 12th royal Lancers

Having looked about have found only a bi-metal reference to this pre 1903 badge. Me thinks it is a re-strike. In it's defense it is a well struck badge. One would think 3 lugs for a badge this size 52 mm on the scroll tips in width and 42 mm on height. Thoughts and opinions welcome
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by irish; 06-07-17 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 05:17 PM

Well at least I was correct feeling it should have 3 lugs. Should I assume mine is the culprit?.. However is a slider appropriate for a badge of this era??
Thanks
Jack
Old 06-07-17, 07:09 PM

CC, thanks for the input. It does look a bit modern in comparison to the others shown. Useful info on the introduction of long sliders.

Jack
Old 06-07-17, 08:11 PM

Me thinks you are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Having looked about have found only a bi-metal reference to this pre 1903 badge. Me thinks it is a re-strike. In it's defense it is a well struck badge. One would think 3 lugs for a badge this size 52 mm on the scroll tips in width and 42 mm on height. Thoughts and opinions welcome
Thanks
Jack

Old 06-07-17, 09:16 PM

It is getting a bit easier to pick out the dud's. But still a real challenge to pick out the good.
Jack

Last edited by irish; 06-07-17 at 09:28 PM.
Old 14-07-17, 01:02 PM

Where did you actually get it from, Jack?
Old 14-07-17, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Where did you actually get it from, Jack?
Frank, it was part of a large group of badges purchased recently here in the US. There were a number of nice pieces mixed in with duds. The collection if we can call it that was put together in the 60's and 70's. The individual who had assembled it was an avid collector of British insignia. Unfortunately a number of the badges were the the 70's re-do's. The owner who Is deceased now likely did not know.

I knew going in that dud's were present. However the deal was for the whole group. So I did some quick math in my head based on this knowledge and figured it was still a reasonable deal for the money.
Best
Jack
Old 14-07-17, 02:57 PM

Just to add to this from the point of view of a collector with a fair amount of PoW plumes badges this pattern of design for the PoW plumes is found on a lot of modern reproductions and whilst slightly better than the "dumpy" style they are still copies.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 14-07-17, 03:52 PM

Thanks fella's. always appreciate your input. I personally only know a few British collectors here in the U.S. We are spread out across the country so the ability to interact with any regularity is tough, if at all.

There are roughly 3 shows a year that I attend. These shows are larger and badges do show up, but no one dealer is specializing in them. With my limited but growing knowledge I scour these shows for good badges. Sometimes with good luck but just as often coming up empty handed or with a duffer in hand. In addition this irregularity does not allow for much area specialization. I grab up anything British or Commonwealth, metal or cloth. A "magpie" if you will. Do not get me wrong, some great pieces have shown up over the years.

One of the main differences I notice in the British badge collecting hobby as opposed to U.S. insignia collecting is the amount of energy and discussion that goes into badge authenticity, rightfully so. While there are reproductions within the U.S. collecting area I do not believe it is as widespread. Much has been said regarding the wave of reproduction badges that had begun in earnest in the 1970's. Many of these badges made their way to the U.S. and have hidden in collections here for years. These collectors did not have the knowledge at the time or benefit of this forum.

While I much enjoy the hobby in can be nerve racking at times.

Best
Jack

Last edited by irish; 14-07-17 at 03:59 PM.
Old 15-07-17, 08:52 PM

Okay, I see, it's annoying when you see the bad mixed up with original examples, you wonder just what was going on in people minds sometimes, but, that is also something you will encounter when looking through the stock of certain sellers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Frank, it was part of a large group of badges purchased recently here in the US. There were a number of nice pieces mixed in with duds. The collection if we can call it that was put together in the 60's and 70's. The individual who had assembled it was an avid collector of British insignia. Unfortunately a number of the badges were the the 70's re-do's. The owner who Is deceased now likely did not know.

I knew going in that dud's were present. However the deal was for the whole group. So I did some quick math in my head based on this knowledge and figured it was still a reasonable deal for the money.
Best
Jack
Old 29-07-17, 04:37 AM

I just picked up on this thread now.

I live between the U.S. and Ireland and I have been collecting here in the States for years, It has always been my contention that most British badges come across the border from Canada and find their way into collections here.

There was a large collection of British badge came up from the Missouri area following the death of one of the biggest collectors there recently. I knew the guy and had viewed the collection. At least a third of it was repro/restrikes about half of what was left was good and the rest were open for discussion!

Collecting British badges in the U.S. is a lottery and not for the faint hearted….

Dave
Old 29-07-17, 12:12 PM

Hello Dave,
Well said "not for the the faint of heart". Did the Missouri collection get sold at a local auction about 5 or so years a ago?' If so I believe the person who bought it was from the St Louis area.

The hunt for good pieces is fun and you never know what may show up. But as said earlier the 70's era reproductions have fully infiltrated collections and dealer stocks here. Not being a person who likes to give others bad news I rarely say anything to dealers when these are found in their stock. I will just keep walking.

Best
Jack
Old 31-07-17, 02:35 AM

Hi Jack,

The collection was bought by a man in the St.Louis area who has since died. However, before he died he took the badges to one of the Louisville shows and sold it all.

He did have some nice badges but also a lot of duds.

Are you in south Illinois or further north?

Dave
Old 31-07-17, 02:52 AM

Hello Dave, I believe to have seen some of the collection after it changed hands a few times.

I am in south central Illinois.

Best
Jack
Old 09-09-17, 12:02 PM

Hi. Using my own criteria for what is a good badge or a copy. This badge is 100% wrong. Marybrads.