British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-16, 09:39 PM

Default Scinde Camel Corps?

This badge was part of a small group of Commonwealth badges. It has me a bit confused as to it's use and or if it is an original piece or a copy of something.

The Scinde CC having been melded throughout history into several units of the Frontier Force. Scinde Rifle Corps and the 59th Scinde Rifles to name a few. This badge seems to hark back to an earlier time although the badge cannot be as old as the mid 19th century.. Did any of the subsequent formations that shared lineage with Scinde CC carry forward a design like this? Measures 62mm x 40mm. Or is it pure fantasy? thanks Jack

Old 04-03-16, 05:36 AM

Hi Jack

These items turn up occasionally at militaria fairs over here and I've also seen them on e-bay.

The Scinde Camel Corps only existed for about ten years, 1843-1853. It's "descendents" were various regiments in the Indian and then post 1947 Pakistan Army.

I don't think anyone knows for sure exactly what they are but I think it's safe to assume they are not contemporary to the SCC.

Some say they are restrikes from a die used to produce an original item. If so, they may have been produced by the Fox Co (of restrike glengarry badge "fame") in the early 1900's. Others say they are merely a fantasy item.

Sorry I can't be more precise!

David
Old 04-03-16, 01:37 PM

Thank you David, your explanation is in line with my own thoughts. It could not have been a badge from the mid 1800's. It is also an odd shape to be worn and secured with only 2 lugs. An old restrike sounds most plausible. Much appreciate your input.
Best
Jack
Old 04-03-16, 02:12 PM

I agree with David. The fastenings just don't look right for something of the age it would have to be to be genuine. Nice piece, though.

Peter
Old 10-07-17, 07:02 AM

Default Ready Aye Ready

I have had one of these for years and was told by HLK that it was made by Fox and Co in Southsea as a copy/restrike of Horse Furniture.

Rob
Old 10-07-17, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have had one of these for years and was told by HLK that it was made by Fox and Co in Southsea as a copy/restrike of Horse Furniture.

Rob
Rob, that is interesting. to refresh my recollection, Fox and Co were very early purveyors of badge re-strikes. Early 20 the century?

Thanks
Jack