British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-14, 12:13 AM

Default RN QVC cap badge

Hi

I've checked the details and this is what I found.

The Admiralty Dredging Service was originally part of the Admiralty Works Department (which is where the confusion may have arisen), but later transferred to the Civil Engineer-in-Chief's Department in the early-1920s. By 1947 it had been fully amalgamated into the Yard Craft Service (later the Port Auxiliary Service and then the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service). This would certainly account for the fact that only the VQC and King's Crown versions of the button appear to exist. The Dredging Service operated its own vessels to which it appointed its own masters. In the same way that officers in the RMAS wore a distinctive uniform, it is probable that officers appointed to the Dredging Service had something to differentiate them from those appointed to organisations such as the Admiralty Coaling Service.

Pete
Old 28-12-14, 08:40 AM

Default Small Victorian Officer's cap badge

With further reference to the small Victorian Officer's cap badge, may I point you to another of Bosleys web sites.

http://www.regimentalbadges.com/naval_itemcat_1058
Old 28-12-14, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royston View Post
With further reference to the small Victorian Officer's cap badge, may I point you to another of Bosleys web sites.

http://www.regimentalbadges.com/naval_itemcat_1058
hi guys
does anyone know what it sold for?
bc
Old 28-12-14, 05:00 PM

I think it was £165.
Old 28-07-17, 06:54 AM

I am letting you know the ID I have been researching and trying to prove.
It is GUESSED and there is no evidence at all.

In the initial thread Guzzman showed a version with a slant anchor.
Such designs are usually used by Port Commissions, Harbour organisations and Docks.
The button for the East India Docks in London has an anchor resting on the seabed.
Uniform buttons for Docks tend to be rare.

My guess is Royal Albert Dock for Guzzman's slant anchor button and/or Royal Albert Dock Hospital for the upright anchor button.
ref. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ils.asp?id=946

The Seamen's Hospital Society had uniform buttons with SHS across an anchor.
Proving this is going to take hours of searching.
Old 29-07-17, 06:52 AM

Morning Btns!

A very interesting post. Totally agree with what you say about slanted anchors. You could very well be right for these buttons being for the Royal Albert Dock and the Royal Albert Dock Hospital. Hopefully, one day someone will be able to positively identify these buttons.

Only thing that worries me is, if these are buttons related to the Royal Albert Dock, why are so many turning up in the vicinity of the dockyard at Simons Town in South Africa?

Pete
Old 29-07-17, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Only thing that worries me is, if these are buttons related to the Royal Albert Dock, why are so many turning up in the vicinity of the dockyard at Simons Town in South Africa?
Pete
Hi Pete,
Thank you for your reply.
You wrote "so many buttons" - for how many uniforms and overcoats have you seen buttons?

It seems Simontown's new Selborne Graving Dock was commissioned in 1910. One would need experienced staff to operate it. Dockyard officials relocating from the UK would have brought their uniforms. Once in South Africa the buttons would have been replaced. The original buttons were put aside on a string.
And now we need a newspaper clipping with evidence ....