British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-09, 05:22 PM

Default Special Service Battalion Officers Capbadge

What are your opinions about this, I guess officers', SSB capbadge? quality of the cast is very poor,at least in othe backsiede, but still it looks quite allright to me.... thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badge_SSB_1.jpg (56.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Badge_SSB_2.jpg (69.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 21-12-09, 05:32 PM

It is unlikely to be a fake as this badge is very common in SA. It may be WW2, as many SA badges were cast during that time. Regards Andrew
Old 22-12-09, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
It is unlikely to be a fake as this badge is very common in SA. It may be WW2, as many SA badges were cast during that time. Regards Andrew
Thank you Andrew, as a matter of fact I've paid it peanuts... do you confirm it's an officers' badge, though?
Old 22-12-09, 11:07 AM

Default by the way....

... since you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable collecotr, Andrew, could you please give a look to this post of mine?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...5035#post55035

Thank you in advance!
Old 22-12-09, 02:41 PM

I do not know if it is an officers badge. Regards Andrew
Old 03-01-10, 06:06 PM

SSB BADGE FRAME.jpg

The Special Service Battalion was and is still known for its exceptionally high standard of discipline both during training and operations. I have a substantial collection of both badges and militaria to them as my grandfather served as a senior NCO with the unit both in South Africa and in Italy. I do not see this quality of badge being worn by any member of the unit as it would not have been conducive to the high standards of discipline that was expected and enforced. Some sources refer to the discipline as being "severe". Officer's had gilt mess dress badges and would not have worn a cast badge on their headdress. In my 34 years of collecting to the SSB, I have not come across a cast badge and this is the first example that I have seen. It may have been struck in North Africa where the 6th SA Division did its final training before embarking for Italy.
Old 04-01-10, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrigade View Post
Attachment 20376

The Special Service Battalion was and is still known for its exceptionally high standard of discipline both during training and operations. I have a substantial collection of both badges and militaria to them as my grandfather served as a senior NCO with the unit both in South Africa and in Italy. I do not see this quality of badge being worn by any member of the unit as it would not have been conducive to the high standards of discipline that was expected and enforced. Some sources refer to the discipline as being "severe". Officer's had gilt mess dress badges and would not have worn a cast badge on their headdress. In my 34 years of collecting to the SSB, I have not come across a cast badge and this is the first example that I have seen. It may have been struck in North Africa where the 6th SA Division did its final training before embarking for Italy.
well, a lot of cast badges were struck in North Africa, weren't they? I've got a Regiment Botha sandcast badge I bought in Poland in the late Seventies together with other souvenirs from a Polish veteran.... I understand they were quite regularly produced ...
Old 25-03-17, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
What are your opinions about this, I guess officers', SSB capbadge? quality of the cast is very poor,at least in othe backsiede, but still it looks quite allright to me.... thank you in advance!
Found this old post while searching for something else. This is a white metal casting as worn by the Permanent arm of the UDF form 1943 to 1963. The citizen force soldiers wore brass badges. It is not specific to officers though.
Old 09-05-17, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Found this old post while searching for something else. This is a white metal casting as worn by the Permanent arm of the UDF form 1943 to 1963. The citizen force soldiers wore brass badges. It is not specific to officers though.
nice to hear it, thank you!