British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-17, 07:06 PM

Default THE WESTERN FRONT,1914-1918

12th (Service) Battalion (3rd Hull)
Formed in Hull on 11 August 1914 by Lord Nunburnholme and the East Riding TF Association. Commonly known as the Hull Sportsmen’s Battalion.
8 February 1918 : disbanded in France.
Thanks to; The Long, Long Trail.

© IWM (Q 11546)
Officers of the 12th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment (92nd Brigade, 31st Division) in their mess dug-out, 30 feet underground. Arleux sector, near Roclincourt, 9 January 1918. The smiling officer in the centre is a medical officer attached to the Battalion (see Q 11545).

Notice the three bars of the medical officer.
© IWM (Q 11545)
The RAMC officer, attached to the 12th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment (92nd Brigade, 31st Division), bandaging the face wound of a man of his battalion in the line in the Arleux sector, near Roclincourt, 9 January 1918.

© IWM (Q 10622)
The Medical Officer of the 12th Battalion ,East Yorkshire Regiment conducts a foot inspection in a support trench near Roclincourt, 9 January 1918.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 24-04-17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 24-04-17, 10:18 PM

Good pictures, though staged pictures I should think- perhaps they were trying to produce 'a day in the life of an MO'. I thought platoon foot inspections were done by the platoon officer or SNCO. Regards, Paul.
Old 28-04-17, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Good pictures, though staged pictures I should think- perhaps they were trying to produce 'a day in the life of an MO'. I thought platoon foot inspections were done by the platoon officer or SNCO. Regards, Paul.
By coincidence, a passage from the book I am currently reading... this extract referring to time on the Somme, with the Machine Gun Corps, in 1916:

'The day passed with the usual parades, inspection of the men for shaving, button-cleaning and general turn-out, inspection of rifles and machine-guns and revolvers, then foot inspection when every man had to rub his feet with whale oil in the presence of an officer to prevent frostbite.'

From 'Twice In A Lifetime' by M. L. Walkington (as recommended by Wilf).
Old 28-04-17, 05:56 PM

Thanks JT.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 29-04-17, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
By coincidence, a passage from the book I am currently reading... this extract referring to time on the Somme, with the Machine Gun Corps, in 1916:

'The day passed with the usual parades, inspection of the men for shaving, button-cleaning and general turn-out, inspection of rifles and machine-guns and revolvers, then foot inspection when every man had to rub his feet with whale oil in the presence of an officer to prevent frostbite.'

From 'Twice In A Lifetime' by M. L. Walkington (as recommended by Wilf).
Button cleaning in operational areas! I wonder, given the circumstances and general conditions, whether there might have been more imaginative means of occupying men and maintaining discipline than polishing buttons so they stood out wonderfully in action.
Old 29-04-17, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Button cleaning in operational areas! I wonder, given the circumstances and general conditions, whether there might have been more imaginative means of occupying men and maintaining discipline than polishing buttons so they stood out wonderfully in action.
Agreed. It does seem counter-intuitive.

JT

Tags
12th east yorkshire, 31st division, arleux