British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-17, 02:39 AM

Default Artists Rifles

Well, gentlemen, would you give a look at my small group of Artists Rifles badges and let me know your opinions? As always, my primary concern is originality, but I'm also somewhat mystified by the chronology of these badges. This is a favorite regiment of mine, but I can't seem to make sense of which style of badge was worn when...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6762.jpg (49.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6757.jpg (67.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6760.jpg (64.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6763.jpg (45.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6766.jpg (41.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6767.jpg (42.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-04-17, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobw View Post
Well, gentlemen, would you give a look at my small group of Artists Rifles badges and let me know your opinions? As always, my primary concern is originality, but I'm also somewhat mystified by the chronology of these badges. This is a favorite regiment of mine, but I can't seem to make sense of which style of badge was worn when...
Your badge bearing the 'ARTISTS' scroll (white-metal, top centre) is fashioned after the 20th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers design of badge. Drawings from 'Badges of Volunteer Infantry Battalions 1883-1899' held at the National Archives, confirms that this pattern was approved on 4th April 1895, and is likely therefore to have preceded the 'ARTISTS RIFLES' version (your badges far-left and far-right), though this on its own is not of course conclusive proof.

Pinning down a specific juncture at which one pattern superseded the other is not something I am able at present to clarify, though perhaps other members might be able to.

Even so, I have on many occasions seen images dating from the Great War period wherein both types of badge can be seen in situ. My opinion from the evidence I have seen to date is that the 'ARTISTS' version is the first pattern, the 'ARTISTS RIFLES', the second.

I am sorry that I am unable to provide a photo showing both patterns being worn at the same time, though the first portrait below dates from 1917, and the group photo clearly shows the cloth 'ARTISTS' shoulder title being worn... perhaps forum member Drew, can pin down a date for the wearing of the cloth badge.

Regards,

JT

Old 04-04-17, 04:31 AM

Thanks JT! Your badges and photos are amazing! Very helpful, terrific information, but now I'm wondering if any of my badges are genuine, as they seem to differ significantly from yours. What do you think?
Old 04-04-17, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobw View Post
Thanks JT! Your badges and photos are amazing! Very helpful, terrific information, but now I'm wondering if any of my badges are genuine, as they seem to differ significantly from yours. What do you think?
Dob,

A badge much debated here on the forum over the years; its variants the subject of many a thread.

There are schools of thought which resist the so-called 'Brucie' variant (Minerva with distended chin, as per your example viewer's right), though there is a photo in existence of Wilfred Owen with this version in his cap.

I am aware that some members like to use as a point of reference, the heads of the serpents as a means by which to gauge authenticity... 'cartoon worms' is one expression I have seen used in describing the less kosher examples.

It can be a tricky badge to appraise; some evidently snide, whereas others can be harder to evaluate. A trawl through old threads might be a good way for you to assess your badges, though I am sure the more knowledgeable members will be happy to offer up opinion.

Cheers,

JT
Old 04-04-17, 09:08 AM

The white metal artists rifles at bottom right is one that usually gets the thumbs down being the big chinned type.

Harder to say on the other two, perhaps posting each badge individually would help, well me at least, to comment.

Jerry
Old 04-04-17, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Your badge bearing the 'ARTISTS' scroll (white-metal, top centre) is fashioned after the 20th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers design of badge. Drawings from 'Badges of Volunteer Infantry Battalions 1883-1899' held at the National Archives, confirms that this pattern was approved on 4th April 1895, and is likely therefore to have preceded the 'ARTISTS RIFLES' version (your badges far-left and far-right), though this on its own is not of course conclusive proof.

Pinning down a specific juncture at which one pattern superseded the other is not something I am able at present to clarify, though perhaps other members might be able to.

Even so, I have on many occasions seen images dating from the Great War period wherein both types of badge can be seen in situ. My opinion from the evidence I have seen to date is that the 'ARTISTS' version is the first pattern, the 'ARTISTS RIFLES', the second.

I am sorry that I am unable to provide a photo showing both patterns being worn at the same time, though the first portrait below dates from 1917, and the group photo clearly shows the cloth 'ARTISTS' shoulder title being worn... perhaps forum member Drew, can pin down a date for the wearing of the cloth badge.

Regards,

JT

[
Great photos. I note that the 'Artists' badge is worn by an officer and the 'Artists Rifles' by ORs so perhaps not a straight forward transition.
I have seen lots of WW1 pictures with ORs with the 'Artist's Rifles' scroll but as yet I have been unable to date the ORs short scroll Artists badge in w/m other than the s/p date of 1938 (see link below) I did wonder if the change in role to Offr Trg saw the adoption of the new ORs badge copying the officer bronze pattern shown in your photo?

More here: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=19363

Last edited by Alan O; 04-04-17 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-04-17, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Great photos. I note that the 'Artists' badge is worn by an officer and the 'Artists Rifles' by ORs so perhaps not a straight forward transition.
I have seen lots of WW1 pictures with ORs with the 'Artist's Rifles' scroll but as yet I have been unable to date the ORs short scroll Artists badge in w/m other than the s/p date of 1938 (see link below) I did wonder if the change in role to Offr Trg saw the adoption of the new ORs badge copying the officer bronze pattern shown in your photo?

More here: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=19363
Only a few weeks ago, I came across a couple of postcards at a militaria fair, both of which depicted group shots of O/Rs of the 28th Londons, with the two patterns of cap badge being worn side-by-side. A great record for any aficionado of the regiment, but the asking price of thirty-two smackeroos the pair, ensured my new-found acquaintance with the seller would never ripen into a lasting friendship. Some toils are more onerous than their fruits are felicitous.

JT
Old 04-04-17, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Very interesting. The combination of OR badges could be down to a few things. As with all things TF the records are difficult to find.
Old 04-04-17, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Very interesting. The combination of OR badges could be down to a few things. As with all things TF the records are difficult to find.
Agreed, and thinking back now, I vaguely recall one of the photos showing drummers(?)... Wilf may be able to cast a flicker of light across this, having been present at the time.

JT
Old 04-04-17, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

There is a possibility that they may not be the offrs pattern badge (sealed in w/m in 1938 for ORs) but the old RV badge.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/158118...85&w=376&h=340

This is 1913 and to my eyes there is a mixture of the long Artists Rifles scroll and the RV with its distinctive short scroll. See the one on the bottom right hand row.
Old 04-04-17, 06:57 PM

I remember seeing the cards JT but cannot remember details I'm afraid mate, sorry. Attached is the earlier RV badge mentioned by Alan which may be of interest,
Cheers, Wilf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0324.jpg (77.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-04-17, 07:06 PM

I wouldn't be too quick in binning those big chinned badges either, some of them will be ok,this image isn't that great but I think it shows a Brucie version clear enough 😀
Wilf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.jpg (51.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-04-17, 09:39 PM

Quote:
There is a possibility that they may not be the offrs pattern badge (sealed in w/m in 1938 for ORs) but the old RV badge.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/158118...85&w=376&h=340

This is 1913 and to my eyes there is a mixture of the long Artists Rifles scroll and the RV with its distinctive short scroll. See the one on the bottom right hand row.
I think the voided sections to the scrolls are just about visible on those examples in the link, Alan (see image below)... voids that are absent on the 20th RV badges.

IMG_1695.jpg

JT
Old 04-04-17, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
I remember seeing the cards JT but cannot remember details I'm afraid mate, sorry. Attached is the earlier RV badge mentioned by Alan which may be of interest,
Cheers, Wilf
Not to worry, Wilf. I think perhaps our minds have been attempting to erase the traumatic experience of seeing the price tag, and in the process wiped a bit too much data from the memory
Old 04-04-17, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Alan,

Did you note also the 'ARTISTS RIFLES' badge worn by the officer in the fourth photo of post #2? Nice to see the TF 'T' collar badges on display too...

And another...

Overseas service chevrons (and medal ribbons) here too, dating this image to pre-1922, when the wearing when in uniform of chevrons denoting service overseas (together with silver war badges, wound stripes) was discontinued under Army Order 434 of that year.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 04-04-17 at 11:23 PM.