British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-16, 05:54 PM

Default Royal Irish Constabulary medallion?

I cannot find anything out about the motto on this medallion which appears to read, 001 RE FE IS. It may be Gaelic. However I do recognise the Victorian crown and the Irish harp which represent the Royal Irish Constabulary or possibly the Royal Irish Rifles. Any thoughts as to which of these two the medallion was intended for would be welcome.

Please not that this item may be offered for sale if I decide not to keep it for my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malvern 16 018.jpg (91.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Malvern 16 016.jpg (83.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-12-16, 07:42 PM

I think you have a Gaelic inscription "Doire Feis" or Derry Feis. A feis is a traditional Gaelic arts and culture festival.

The Derry (or Londonderry) Feis is quite famous, the first took place in the Guildhall in April 1900, its competitions were open to entrants from all over Ireland.

I think this is a medal from competitions for this festival, possibly even the first or second one (1900/1901) given the crown.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northe...y-feis-470088/

A quick internet search (cached images) show the medal descried as such.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 11-12-16 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling corrections.
Old 11-12-16, 09:46 PM

John,

that is brilliant, thank you. I was googling the inscription as I read it and not as two distinct words. The 0-01 clearly threw me, if only they had thought to use the 19.

Simon.
Old 11-12-16, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
John,

that is brilliant, thank you. I was googling the inscription as I read it and not as two distinct words. The 0-01 clearly threw me, if only they had thought to use the 19.

Simon.
Simon, you are very welcome the "001 RE' is actually "DOI RE" [DOIRE] in the Gaelic font used on the medal.

John
Old 12-12-16, 12:22 PM

Thanks again John, I can see a serif on the initial 0 now that I have looked carefully.
Old 12-12-16, 12:55 PM

The Harp & Crown was the Kings/Queens Irish 'Coat of Arms' not just used by the Police & Military.

Here is an example of a King George IV Irish penny where the Saint Edwards Crown over Harp replaces Britannia on the rear face.

Hibernia is the Classical Latin name for the island of Ireland.

Wanted Poppy Pins