British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-17, 04:52 PM

Default Pathfinder wing?

Hello all,

I've just picked up this RAF eagle and was wondering whether it is a pathfinder badge owing to the tube hinge and flat rolled catch. Can anyone please help?

Many thanks,

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg (118.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (120.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 18-04-17, 06:23 PM

looks correct to me ...well done
Old 18-04-17, 06:38 PM

In short, absolutely any eagle actually worn by a serving member of 8 Group, was, in effect, a Pathfinder badge.
I have a similar example in my PFF collection that was worn by an old friend who had been a member of 608 Squadron and only served with that particular squadron after it had reformed as part of the LNSF within 8 Group in 1944.
It has been suggested, on occasion, these badges were made after the war, notwithstanding, I am certainly of the opinion that some were being issued before the war ended, to those aircrew who were so entitled, within the force.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 19-04-17 at 12:45 PM.
Old 18-04-17, 07:07 PM

Many thanks for confirming, both. Glad my gamble paid off. I know you can never be 100% certain about these badges without provenance but it's good to know you have a similar badge from a bone fide direct source, Frank. I'm intrigued as to why the pin-back badge is thought of as post-war only by some, given the sensitivity of wearing such insignia on ops. One would think an easily removable pin badge would make sense for battle-dress.
Old 18-04-17, 07:30 PM

It was suggested to me, certainly on more than on occasion, the last, on here, I think, that these badges were made for the PFF Association, but, whilst I have a number of them, I have a couple that came in groups without absolutely anything postwar whatsoever, as well as an example given to me by a recipient who very clearly stated his badge was given to him in 1945 whilst he was still flying operationally, I really cannot think he would lie about something as trivial as that.
However, as I said, any eagle, is a PFF badge if worn as such by a recipient who was entitled to wear it, moreover, sealed patterns do exist without the distinctive pin.
Regarding operational flying, if you were unfortunate enough to be captured and the enemy had access to the remains of your aircraft, it certainly could be very obvious you were a member of 8 Group, without them having to even mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodovitost View Post
Many thanks for confirming, both. Glad my gamble paid off. I know you can never be 100% certain about these badges without provenance but it's good to know you have a similar badge from a bone fide direct source, Frank. I'm intrigued as to why the pin-back badge is thought of as post-war only by some, given the sensitivity of wearing such insignia on ops. One would think an easily removable pin badge would make sense for battle-dress.
Old 18-04-17, 08:01 PM

Good point regarding evidence at the crash site giving the game away. Though I think I'd still err of the side of caution if I was in the same position! It is indeed a very contentious subject but that's an interesting aspect in collecting such insignia, I suppose.
Old 19-04-17, 12:15 AM

Default I agree

"However, as I said, any eagle, is a PFF badge if worn as such by a recipient who was entitled to wear it, moreover, sealed patterns do exist without the distinctive pin."
Spot on Frank!
I know someone with such a sealed 'lugged' pattern PFF badge.