British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-16, 10:16 AM

Default who has a "to sort out box"

hi all
i havent had much time to sort out the collection over the past 3mths so as i buy things i tend to just pop them into a box.one day i will sit down and go through it. here's one of the boxes.
does anyone else have the same or similar system?
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (50.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (63.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (53.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-07-16, 10:38 AM

Your sort out box looks better than my collection lol!!
cheers
Sean
Old 11-07-16, 10:44 AM

Hello British Friend

a part of my badges collection

usefull and does not take lot of place

cordially
Didier

Old 11-07-16, 11:49 AM

Guilty, need to put some time into displaying. Though I think I'd happily swap boxes BC😆
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 11-07-16, 12:51 PM

I used to have one of these traditional collections. Buttons were grouped on trays and I did not keep any records. Over time it became difficult to distinguish between 'seen in a book' and 'somewhere on a tray'.
To reduce search time I decided to build myself an electronic index to books and trays. It took time away from updating the trays and I now have a huge backlog sitting in boxes. Most of these have been indexed and so are most of the trays.
Indexed and in a box is around 4 times your volume. Not indexed and location-unknown may be another 3 times your volume.

Last edited by btns; 12-07-16 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-07-16, 03:19 PM

My 'sort it box' is only temporary. I tend to try to catalogue my new aquisitions within a day or two of getting them - unless I'm visiting the UK and don't have access to my reference books, in which case they have to wait until I get back to Canada.

Like most Forum members, I also have an 'odds and sods' box of stuff that I either don't really want or don't know what to do with. Stuff such as collar dogs, buttons, foreign bits and bobs (some still unidentified), which don't really form part of my collection. A few things I've given away, others I may just put up on the Forum and see if there are any takers.

David
Old 11-07-16, 04:49 PM

The topic is organizing collections. My interest is primarily badges of the CEF. I have recorded the source, price, provenance, finish etc of every item I have acquired. What I am up against now is that my handwritten lists and my computer summary is no longer up to the task, it just takes too long to find anything. My vision is to have a system that is logically laid out say with every item relating to a given unit in one file. That would include the ability to add in pictures as they are available. The ability to add in that recently acquired set of collars to that unit. I even envision a spot to place the price paid for the item and the worksheet keeps a running total of the numbers entered into the whole collection (of course this feature would be password protected and be hidden from the wife).

My question is does anyone know of a useful and available computer programme set up to achieve all of these factors, and maybe more that I have not included. That is to say a sort of one stop summary with everything that would ever need to be kept on file with a simple ability to add in new items.
Thanks
Don
Old 12-07-16, 11:16 AM

hey scotch,
im glad im not the only one. thanks. you have a nice looking VMR? badge there.
the box i show is the box i either want to keep or i need to check if i have the badge or compare condition and upgrade.
i also have a "not sure what im going to do with" box and a definite "for sale/trade" box.
i like ti think organised kaos.
bc
Old 14-07-16, 02:26 AM

heres a pic of my desk. the box on the back right is whats in the first post. the box in the middle is "a keep and sort box"also.
the other boxes are for sorting or sale/trade.
forgot i hadn't done anything with this helmet plate.
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (47.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4296.jpg (60.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 15-07-16, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
heres a pic of my desk. the box on the back right is whats in the first post. the box in the middle is "a keep and sort box"also.
the other boxes are for sorting or sale/trade.
forgot i hadn't done anything with this helmet plate.
bc
I also have a number of badges for sale/ trade but they never get sold or trade. A true hoarder at heart.

Nick
Old 24-07-16, 10:03 PM

Default Collector App

I have used a purpose built access database to record and store my collection. I now use a collections app from itunes, around the $20 mark. Easy to use customisable and easy to imbed pictures. I used the medals collections app easy to change to a badges. You can create folders for type , regiment etc.