British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-13, 04:22 PM
Banned

The seller is Steve Milnthorpe, who generally sells aviation, flying gear and the like. He is one of the most genuine and decent sellers I know, not a prolific seller but always has good stuff. And he is known for starting low with no reserve, even on high value items.

It might be that its not his field, but you can rest assured that if there is anything hooky, its an honest mistake on his part. Knowing his track record though, I would think this possibly came straight from a vet.
Old 04-02-13, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
The seller is Steve Milnthorpe, who generally sells aviation, flying gear and the like. He is one of the most genuine and decent sellers I know, not a prolific seller but always has good stuff. And he is known for starting low with no reserve, even on high value items.

It might be that its not his field, but you can rest assured that if there is anything hooky, its an honest mistake on his part. Knowing his track record though, I would think this possibly came straight from a vet.
That's good to hear and although there are issues as stated in this thread with the configuration of the insignia I'm still of the opinion that the sum of the items are worth having.

As for it coming from a vet, well the stitching is a dog's dinner and if i'd had the pleasure of inspecting the soldier who may have worn this blouse we would have had words, loud ones, one way from me so there is doubt as to the possibility of this one having been worn in service but as your friend is known to be an honest guy I for one won't hold this against him and I wish him well with his now well advertised sale.

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 04-02-13, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
I think that's a RB thing, I'm sure the WOII only wore it on one sleeve and usually in bullion too. I know it's odd but some regiments can be very peculiar.
Lee
It has been adopted by The Rifles too, their WOs and NCOs only wear rank on their right arm in No2 dress uniform

PL
Old 04-02-13, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
It has been adopted by The Rifles too, their WOs and NCOs only wear rank on their right arm in No2 dress uniform

PL
And I always thought that was a result of continuing defence cuts!
Mike
Old 04-02-13, 07:17 PM

Here's another with a similar stripe for long service, also with bullion trade badge for a signaler.
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB.jpg (69.9 KB, 43 views)

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 04-02-13, 08:58 PM

So there is reasonable evidence accumulating that the chevrons are kosher, that Rifles at around this time work ranking on the right sleeve only, and that they affected bullion skill-at-arms badges.

We live and learn, indeed we do.
Old 04-02-13, 09:11 PM
Banned

A nice looking BD Lee, thanks for showing it.

The rank on the right sleeve has been duly noted in this thread but I am surprised to see from your image Lee that the unit insignia seem to feature on one arm only in the period, accepted that this was common practice in later times form my own experience. What date do you put on the blouse Lee?

As for the bullion trade badges, this anomaly doesn't surprise me with regard to the regiment in question.

Ry
Old 04-02-13, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
A nice looking BD Lee, thanks for showing it.

The rank on the right sleeve has been duly noted in this thread but I am surprised to see from your image Lee that the unit insignia seem to feature on one arm only in the period, accepted that this was common practice in later times form my own experience. What date do you put on the blouse Lee?

As for the bullion trade badges, this anomaly doesn't surprise me with regard to the regiment in question.

Ry
The insignia is the same on both sleeves, just my bad photography I'm afraid, the jacket doesn't quite lay flat as it's had shoulder pads added. BD is dated 1945, I have the soldiers name somewhere but can't put my hand on it at the moment
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 04-02-13, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
The insignia is the same on both sleeves, just my bad photography I'm afraid, the jacket doesn't quite lay flat as it's had shoulder pads added. BD is dated 1945, I have the soldiers name somewhere but can't put my hand on it at the moment
Lee
Thanks Lee, thought I was seeing things, or not on this occasion!

Regards

Ry