British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-10-11, 01:17 PM

Default Engineer Volunteers

Picked this up a few days ago as it seemed quite unusual, having a few doubts about its authenticity though! I haven't been able to find out very much about the Engineer Volunteers at all really, does anyone know of any good books?

I've been digging around on the internet but still can't find a great deal either, the only link I've really been able to find is this brief PDF here It looks to be the one on the top right but the pictures not that clear.

The only other bit of information I found was here:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=26840

Which has been marked as fake... So it's not looking good!

Mine is here:
Front
Front again
Back

Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 03:11 PM

Personally I would NOT touch this or go near it. I have a very nice white metal badge to the Engineer Volunteers which I believe is fake. I use it for a space filler. Kipling & King do NOT show this badge nor have I seen it in other books.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-10-11, 04:34 PM

Yeah I thought it might be after doing a bit of research, good job it only cost a couple of quid! Thanks for the information anyway
Old 09-10-11, 04:42 PM
Banned

Here is my example shown along with two RE Vols Belt Plate Badges.

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 04:46 PM

Smile QVC Engineers

This is a badge that I think is based on the QVC belt centre which is voided, as to whether it was ever worn I will let more knowledgeable forum members decide.
Old 09-10-11, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Here is my example shown along with two RE Vols Belt Plate Badges.
Sorry to hijack your thread a little, Killy, but I need to ask a question.

Charlie585, I posted this badge some time ago and forum members described it as part of a waistbelt plate but I was left with a niggling doubt as to whether it was Engineers or Artillery.

It seems to be very similar to the badge in your third picture but it is brass and has (had) four lugs. How would you describe it?

Would Sappers and Miners have had their own badge?

Donny B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010752.jpg (63.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1010754.jpg (57.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-10-11, 10:00 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone Still a bit confused as to whether it was ever worn, or even if it's real or fake! Perhaps it would get more answers in the Royal engineer forum? Thanks for those pictures, Charlie585, what do you believe that it was used for, of anything? No problem Donny B. looks like it's an interesting one.

Thanks
Old 10-10-11, 10:35 AM
Banned

Hi Killy,

I have been proven wrong in the past but I am sure that the first badge I have shown is a genuine Headdress Badge given the type of fixings. As far as originality goes, I can only say that I wouldn't put my money on an example that doesn't have the voiding to the centre.

As Rob (Sonofacqms) implies, it is very similar to the belt plate centre also pictured. Please see the image below which shows it mounted on its plate.

Donny B,

Please have a look at this thread for more on your Belt Plate:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=9177

The WM badge that I have shown without the "Ubique" honour actually has two screw post fixings so it could be a pouch badge. The brass example that I have is very similar to yours with the four small loops to the rear and the "Ubique" honour.

As to when it was worn, I'm afraid that I can't be certain and also it would seem that both the REs and RAs wore them.

Regards to all

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-10-11, 05:04 PM

Cool RE Vols.

Ry, having looked through Ray Westlake's book on Engineer Volunteers I can find no reference to your badge with loops as fixings, it does state that they adopted the RE cap badge in white metal with "volunteers" on the scroll. As to whether this had the Victorian or king's crown is not mentioned as far as I could see.

Is it my imagination and poor eyesight, but the badge looks as though it has been plated and has some brass showing through.

Rob
Old 24-10-11, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post

The WM badge that I have shown without the "Ubique" honour actually has two screw post fixings so it could be a pouch badge. The brass example that I have is very similar to yours with the four small loops to the rear and the "Ubique" honour.

As to when it was worn, I'm afraid that I can't be certain and also it would seem that both the REs and RAs wore them.

Ry
I now have it from what I believe to be a very reliable source that the badge I posted.....I have pictured it again, for convenience, .....is a R E Other Ranks waistbelt clasp worn 1856/1888. In all probability it is the same as the one on the clasp of the waist belt being worn by the chap in the other photo. Maybe some of you eagle eyed blokes can confirm this.

I must say that I am pleased that is what it turned out to be....largely because that is what I was hoping it might be.

Donny B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010752.jpg (63.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Trigwell's belt buckle 2 005.jpg (96.4 KB, 25 views)