British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-14, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default New / old corps names

The Canadian Army is in the process of returning many of the CF Branches to their previous corps names. So the Dental Branch is regaining their name Royal Canadian Dental Corps. The corps will provide dental services to all three services. Does this change require Royal Assent?
Further, the Medical Branch is being renamed the Royal Canadian Medical Services. This is a completely new designation with no equivalent in the old corps structure. Would Royal Assent be required to grant the Royal honour for this new organization?
Has Royal Assent been applied for these new/old corps?
Old 19-08-14, 02:31 PM

I don't know for sure, and haven't seen anything anywhere, but in order to use the designation "Royal" I would have thought that Royal Assent from Rideau Hall would be required.

David
Old 19-08-14, 03:16 PM

....but if the services/branch, except for R C Medical Services,already had the Royal Assent given, then I would think there is no need to have a new Royal Assent.....as they are reverting to their former names......
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 19-08-14, 03:43 PM

You may have a point there, Jo. I just wonder whether during the amalgamation the original Royal assent was rendered null and void. Who knows the intricacies of these things?

David
Old 19-08-14, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Jo, That was my thinking with the RCDC. It is the same name as previous and is the direct decent of the same corps. But as David indicates, did the amalgamation put the RCDC into some sort of administrative limbo which retired the Royal designation.
The case of the RCMS is completely different. It is a new designation, which though it perpetuates the RCAMC, also includes new elements from the navy and airforce which were never designated as Royal.
Old 20-08-14, 02:29 PM

There might be something in the Canada Gazette if Royal Assent is given.

David
Old 27-08-14, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Came across a document, dated August 1964, that indicated that Royal Assent was required. "Royal titles are subject to Royal approval and any change in the approved title requires the consent of the Colonel-in-Chief and Royal approval of any proposed change." Not sure if this is still in effect today.
Old 01-09-14, 09:43 PM

I had heard that the Government had received a legal opinion that they would be able to reinstate the names of corps that had previously held Royal designation at the prerogative of the Minister of National Defence. That being said, I believe that HM was sounded out for her opinion first and the indication was that it would be fine as long as Canada ceased flip-flopping on it.
Old 02-09-14, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
You may have a point there, Jo. I just wonder whether during the amalgamation the original Royal assent was rendered null and void. Who knows the intricacies of these things?
It is my understanding that DHH is paid to know the intricacies of these things, or to find out, in the case they really need to be known.