British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-14, 11:23 AM

Default Scottish piper

Can anyone identify the regiment?
Ron.
Old 29-08-14, 06:04 PM

Default Scottish Piper

Hi Ron,
By no means an expert, but think I can be of some assistance. After the review of a fairly extensive reference library, here are some observations.

The highland dress shown in the photograph would appear to date from the late 1900's to around the time of World War I. Possibly a bit later. It's in the format of what is called a "Carte de Visite".

The sporran is consistent with the “swinging six” tassels of the Argyll & Sutherland, but not full dress because there is no badger head. In addition the sporran appears to be of better quality than would be normal military issue to O.R.s.

Even with what appears to be a yellow stripe, which is too wide, the rest of the set of the tartan is not consistent with Gordon. Can't identify the tartan as any regimental set.

Hope this information is of some assistance

Both officers and O.R.s would have some form of collar dogs, none seem to be visible.

Conclusion: My personal opinion would be to conclude that the figure is in highland dress, but not either of a specific regiment or military.

Slàinte (Gaelic for "Good Health !")
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 copy.jpg (24.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-09-14, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhemjim View Post
...The sporran is consistent with the “swinging six” tassels of the Argyll & Sutherland, but not full dress because there is no badger head. In addition the sporran appears to be of better quality than would be normal military issue to O.R.s....
The Argylls' swinging six sporran consisted of six white tassels on a black sporran - this one is black on white. It's not possible to see this guy's rank, but the badger's head sporran was worn only by senior NCOs and Officers. The Black Watch wore a sporran with black tassels on a white background, but theirs has only five tassels. I wouldn't be too concerned about the "quality" of the sporran as the pipers often did wear sporrans that were rather more elaborate than the standard ORs' issue.

My guess is that this guy is not a military piper but, beyond that, and without a better look at the cap badge, it's not really possible to be more specific. The only sporran of that "layout" that I have seen is worn by the Athol Highlanders although, in this case, the tartan doesn't look quite right.

J
Old 01-09-14, 05:17 PM

Hi, I agree with the consensus that he isn't a Regimental Piper. There are elements of the Ross-shire Buffs in there. I think it may be the same set, but the sporran 6 tassels is of too old a pattern for the card, the 78th being more known for two longer tassels. The Plaid broach would also normally have a hole in the middle.
However as those of us living in Scotland know only too well, nearly every town and corporation has it's own pipe band. Far more likely to be a town piper than a Military one.
Just for interest sake I've added a couple of images of C de V of a Victorian 78th piper & NCO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86b25dbac9f2b21b5d6d34cf34a72ba5.jpg (73.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 38833e716adfe2d945c94a30ec678c8a.jpg (42.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-09-14, 10:42 AM

Thank you all for the replies. Have to put that one in the unknown file.
Ron.