British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-14, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default New Formation badges / DEU badges

With the new division patches and DEU slip-ons coming into wear, I would like to acquire examples for my collection. Pm me if you have access to some.
Old 29-08-14, 09:10 PM

As a soldier in the 3rd Canadian Division, I would like to acquire examples for wear on my service uniform. Please send if anyone has some.
Old 29-08-14, 09:17 PM

Default New formation badges/DEU badges.....

Mike:
If you are a serving soldier, should you not be issued a new 3 Division patch to be sewed onto your DEU jacket, or am I missing something here???
Cheers,
John S.
Old 29-08-14, 09:22 PM

Default New formation badges/DEU badges......

Mike:
Just reread your post, and think perhaps you are looking for other examples of the new divisional patches, other than 3 division? If this is correct, I`ll see if I can help, but might take a wee bit of time.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 29-08-14, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
Mike:
If you are a serving soldier, should you not be issued a new 3 Division patch to be sewed onto your DEU jacket, or am I missing something here???
Cheers,
John S.
Just a little tongue in cheek. Always a unique experience when those serving in units have yet to be issued with insignia and collectors are posting online looking to have people "acquire" some for them.
Old 29-08-14, 09:51 PM

Bill, I will get as much as I can for you when they get into my hot little hands.
Colin
Old 29-08-14, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

The vagaries of the DND supply systems never fail to amaze me. Some units are issued insignia in copious amounts while others are beggars waiting for ages to get any issue.
Sorry Mike, as a collector, the bottom line is if you don't ask you will never get.
Old 11-01-15, 12:53 AM

As an update, The Calgary Highlanders were warned (over the Christmas holidays) that they were to be presented the Canadian Forces Unit Commendation.

Link to the DND news item:

http://army.forces.gc.ca/en/news-pub...ion%2Fi3yarg2d

Regimental website:

http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/tr...itions2015.htm

Calgary Sun:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/10...in-afghanistan.

The regiment still had not seen its 3rd Division patches, save for two fellows who went to Ottawa as part of the National Sentry Program (the same duty that Cpl Cirillo was on when he was killed).

A desire to have the patches for the presentation by the CDS led to a last minute scramble. Our RQMS pried a few dozen samples from our brigade stores and attempted to get them to the tailor and back in time for the parade. Several were left to sew them on. I finally got mine over the holidays and got it onto my jacket the old fashioned way, by hand.

Apparently the division had a first issue which was the wrong shade. Our troops on National Sentry dury were noticeable by having patches of a lighter shade. This may make things interesting for collectors - at least one of the guys still has his "incorrect" div patch on his DEU. The rest of the unit seem to have the correct "London Fog" (sorry, "French-Grey") patches. But by no means does the entire unit have the patches yet. However, the presentations (Friday by the CDS and the parade today for the 41 CBG commander and the Premier of Alberta) saw a good number on parade. Also our first major parade with all officers in stars and crowns on DEU.

The CDS is also wearing his pearl-grey insignia...

Old 11-01-15, 01:30 AM

Default Canadian Forces Commendation

Mike, congratulations to the Calgary Highlanders for being presented with this Commendation. Their record of support to the mission in Afghanistan was quite an achievement.

In the photograph, the Canadian Forces Chief Warrant Officer is also wearing the new OR's RCAF insignia.
Old 11-01-15, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, Thanks for the update. As Ed said, the Calgary Highlanders commendation was well deserved.
I know a collector who would be interested in both patterns of the "London Fog" patches....
Old 12-01-15, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Mike, Thanks for the update. As Ed said, the Calgary Highlanders commendation was well deserved.
I know a collector who would be interested in both patterns of the "London Fog" patches....
Understandable. It's actually becoming quite the bone of contention how difficult it is for serving troops to get them. I am the clothing storesman here and I was unable to get one for myself! They are so scarce that the RQMS had to ask for some, almost as a personal favour from brigade, so we could be properly outfitted for the CDS parade.

It was entertaining for me to have to try and explain what the patch was to new troops who had no idea what the history of the patch was. All they see is a "stupid blue square" and it is hard to blame them if you don't know the story, and of course, it's not like it comes with a pamphlet explaining it.

Actually, it was funnier when I told them that because we are in the 3rd Division, they had to fold it into a triangle first, so that it had only 3 sides showing. Nothing is too outlandish to be true when it comes to new kit.

The general consensus among those "not in the know" was that it should have a giant numeral "3" in the middle, like a football jersey or something. How uncouth. I guess they have never seen a photo of D-Day or Vimy Ridge.
Old 13-01-15, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

A CTV story about the commendation.
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-hi...ions-1.2182518