British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-10, 05:17 PM

Default Army Scout Badges

I have just posted an album of British Army Proficiency Badges which included a few Army Scout items. As requested here are some close ups and rear views. Large and small version with bar. Small version without bar.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=588
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7647.jpg (85.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7646.jpg (53.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7649.jpg (81.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7650.jpg (91.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7652.jpg (88.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7651.jpg (87.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 25-07-10, 05:20 PM

Default Army Scout Badge

Here is a worsted version and for interest an early Boy Scout badge (also designed by Lord Baden-Powell) worn on the front of the felt "slouch hat" from 1908.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7644.jpg (96.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7645.jpg (99.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Boy Scouts Slouch Hat.jpg (95.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Boy Scouts Slouch Hat back.jpg (99.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 25-07-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 25-07-10, 05:23 PM
LYPAO Boff

You are a Gentleman Sir.... many thanks

Just for interest also :-

Significant Trade Badge : SCOUT
The brass badge was devised by Baden-Powell in 1897 when he was serving in India with the 5th Dragoon Guards and awarded to Army Scouts he had trained. It was adopted throughout the British Army in 1905 and continued in use until the end of the Great War in 1918. The badge was issued in two sizes, the one pictured is the larger and is often referred to as the First Class badge, a smaller being the Second Class badge. Each came in two versions, with or without a bar under the arrow. The version photographed has the bar. An unatributed text that states that the bar signified that the holder held the rank of corporal. Each Arm Badge has a smaller version "Cap Badge" also, I dont know if it was worn alongside the regimental cap badge (or instaed of)?

* See the "Northumberland Hussars Sergeant" picture (in the Yeomanry Cavalry NCO Arm badge Album) to see the smaller type Senior Ranks badge being worn.
** The Oxfordshire Hussars had their own pattern (in the Yeomanry Cavalry NCO Arm badge Album).

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 21-02-12, 09:20 PM
Peter J

Thought the following images might be of interest to this thread... the first is of a Civil Service Rifles Cadet, wearing an 'Army Scout' badge, and the second is of a L/Cpl of the QVRs wearing (what I believe to be) a '1st Class Army Scout' badge:

CSR Cadet.jpg9th London 1st Class Army Scout.jpg

Regards,

Peter.
Old 22-02-12, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
You are a Gentleman Sir.... many thanks

Just for interest also :-

Significant Trade Badge : SCOUT
The brass badge was devised by Baden-Powell in 1897 when he was serving in India with the 5th Dragoon Guards and awarded to Army Scouts he had trained. It was adopted throughout the British Army in 1905 and continued in use until the end of the Great War in 1918. The badge was issued in two sizes, the one pictured is the larger and is often referred to as the First Class badge, a smaller being the Second Class badge. Each came in two versions, with or without a bar under the arrow. The version photographed has the bar. An unatributed text that states that the bar signified that the holder held the rank of corporal. Each Arm Badge has a smaller version "Cap Badge" also, I dont know if it was worn alongside the regimental cap badge (or instaed of)?

* See the "Northumberland Hussars Sergeant" picture (in the Yeomanry Cavalry NCO Arm badge Album) to see the smaller type Senior Ranks badge being worn.
** The Oxfordshire Hussars had their own pattern (in the Yeomanry Cavalry NCO Arm badge Album).
Some misinformation here!

Size means nothing! The large badges, with and without bar, were replaced from 1907 [by order RACD] by smaller versions. All "brass" scout badges came with a black felt backing. Worsted versions were never an Ordnance issue, but knocked up by various tailoring firms during the Great War, hence so many variants. These badges were the only ones [in all the trade, skill-at-arms, appointment etc badges] described as "brass" ..... all other metal ones were "gilding metal".

The cross bar signifies Scout First Class, the one without was Second Class. Infantry and cavalry units were established with Scouts, under a Scout Officer [secondary duty] and a sergeant. Scouts were sub-divided into unit and sub-unit. The First class ones tended to be NCOs, and tended to be unit scouts.
These distinctions, and the additional rasks of sniping and observation, evolved during the trench war, when "scouting" for the enemy was a bit straightforward until mid-1918!

Infantry from India had a totally different badge: the very small elegant S in wreath ..... almost the earliest "in wreath" badge, worn left cuff, in metal and worsted. [the earliest was probably VS in wreath, worsted, awarded in the Peninsula War to Valiant Stormers]

The badge was not abolished until 1921, after which units in India improvised with brassards.
Old 21-09-15, 12:26 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Guys

I have put a post on this to bring it to the top so I can find it again and print it out. Thanks for the info GGA & Griff

Regards

Phil.
Old 21-09-15, 06:49 PM

The pre 1907 larger version, first class. I wondered how long this version took to be withdrawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mons t scan pc 1 detail scouts badge.jpg (107.3 KB, 88 views)

Jerry
Old 21-09-15, 09:30 PM

Any truth in a recollection from the dim and distant past that the badge may have taken its form from the north point of a compass? - Its been a very long day ... I may well be dreaming zzzzzzz

Ah - just looked at British Army Proficiency Badges by Edwards and Langley - apparently it was so

Some other good info in there too as attached - look at item 106
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img401.jpg (81.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg img402.jpg (43.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg img403.jpg (51.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 22-09-15, 07:44 AM

Grey -green-acorn
Is is possible that your worsted badge is more like 106 of Edward and Langley - 47th Divisional Sniper (and possibly others) - as my posting above.
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 23-09-15 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-08-16, 01:29 PM

Default Scout badge

Just found this thread just what I needed just picked up this locally made scouts badge, but of interest on the rear it has a name F H Ruck 21.L. Theres a fantastic picture in Linaker and Dine of 4 21st Lancer NCO scouts the badges are the bigger and seem to vary in size and design page 18

Rgs Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160804_141007.jpg (51.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20160804_140918.jpg (89.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-01-17, 06:52 AM

Default Scout badge value

Just by way of a bit of a bump, I have a fellow trying to sell me one of the "no bar" scout badges in brass. Is there an established value for this type of badge? I don't want to overspend.

Thanks,

Monkey
Old 08-01-17, 10:14 AM

Monkey,

Anywhere from £35-70(ebay and dealers) I would say £40-45 would be a fair price collector to collector.

regards
Old 08-01-17, 03:00 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for that MH. I appreciate it.

Monkey
Old 19-06-18, 10:37 AM

Default scouts Badge

I have a large and a smaller variant am I to understand that in 1907 the Larger badge was no longer used and the smaller one was and the difference on first or 2nd class is based on the Bar ?

Best Mac
Old 19-06-18, 12:56 PM

Here are my army Scouts badges including the rare WM large badges.

I would be interested to see if anyone has any small Army Scouts badges in WM??

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scouts.jpg (58.6 KB, 48 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges