British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-18, 02:36 AM

Default F Sqn

I have just finished reading 'F Squadron' by Carlo Bonciani, published by JM Dent & Sons, London, 1947. I can recommend this book to anyone who wants an insight into the Italian Army from 1943 to 1945.

The F Sqn referred to was a unit formed after the armistice with Italy, to fight with the Allies, although the author of the book itself only joined the unit later.

According to Guido Rosignoli some units of the Italian 158th Parachute Regt joined the Canadians. On 15.11.43. they were placed under command of 13 Corps and designated 1st Autonomous Special Detachment. In 03.44. they became 1st Reconnaissance, Sqn F. This unit fought with all the major British formations in a recce and special forces role, including an airborne assault, from Allied aircraft, behind German lines just before the end of the war (Not mentioned in Otway).

According to the author the unit had its own badges (as seen on the dust jacket). Their vehicles had the 13 Corps red gazelle on their left mudguard, with the letter 'F' and a large parachute on the right mudguard.

Can anyone add to this information, or direct me to additional printed sources of information about Italian forces fighting with the Allies (in English please)

Or does anyone have a specimen of the badge they can share?

Thanks, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F Sqn- Italian (1).jpg (58.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg F Sqn- Italian (2).jpg (116.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 19-06-18, 09:31 AM

Can anyone add to this information, or direct me to additional printed sources of information about Italian forces fighting with the Allies (in English please)

For starters try "The Allied Forces in Italy 1943-45" by Guido Rosignoli pp 137-140. He covers the six so-called "Gruppo di Combattimento" each c 9,000 strong. Three of these Groups formed part of Eighth Army. Each had a unique formation sign.
Old 19-06-18, 11:33 AM

Default F Sqn

Thanks Mike.
Old 19-06-18, 07:24 PM

The Secret War In Italy. Special Forces, Partisans and Covert Operations 1943-45 by William Fowler. I have not read this so can't comment on how good it is or not, but it has the F Squadron insignia on the spine, so I presume features them.
Mike
Old 19-06-18, 10:40 PM

Default F Sqn

Thanks.

Now, can any SF collectors show us a real badge?

Stephen.
Old 20-06-18, 03:42 PM

I s'pose that'll be me. Attached is a photo of the front of a "Parachute badge" I bought in Charing Cross militaria market on a Saturday in about 1980. Cast brass, simple pin on back but no manufacturers details or anything. It took me about 5 years to identify it. Never seen another one.
Another badge bought at around the same time was a "brooch" featuring a facist eagle and a tiny parachute above it. Very fragile but beautifully gilded with a Manufacturers mark on the back. Another badge that took years to ID (no internet back then). Although F Squadron fought on 'our' side after the Italian surrender a group of die-hard facist Paratroopers continued fighting on the German side. Known as the "Mazzarini" Battalion. Strangely enough very hard to find anything on them. I traded the badge with a serious London collector for some highly desired unobtainable pieces. Photo attached of a proud young Italian Para wearing the facist badge.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4269.jpg (53.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by ianh67military; 20-06-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 20-06-18, 04:02 PM

Picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mazzarini Para.jpg (6.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 20-06-18, 04:54 PM

Not a subject that I know much about and veering off topic, a photo (not one I own) of the small parachute over eagle badge in wear. The parachute was soldered or welded to a pilot's eagle? Was the parachute of lead alloy, eagle of lead alloy or brass?

A cast badge that may or may not be "genuine", expert collector's opinions are contradictory, some feeling that it's a total fantasy piece, others that it's a genuine unofficial insignia worn by a para serving with the 350 strong "Mazzarini" para unit, 1 Battalions Paracadutisti GNR Mazzarini.
It's slightly smaller than the usual para badge's 78 X 37mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_171907849.jpg (22.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_172303319~2.jpg (59.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 20-06-18 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Auto correct prefers "leaf" to "lead".
Old 20-06-18, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post

For starters try "The Allied Forces in Italy 1943-45" by Guido Rosignoli pp 137-140. He covers the six so-called "Gruppo di Combattimento" each c 9,000 strong. Three of these Groups formed part of Eighth Army. Each had a unique formation sign.
Scarcely British and Commonwealth, but at least "Co-Belligerent" these signs are not entirely out of place here (and they are not seen very often).
Italian Co-Belligerent Gruppi.01.jpg
Old 20-06-18, 05:46 PM

Printed designs, and are the backings actual "flag cloth"?
Old 20-06-18, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Printed designs, and are the backings actual "flag cloth"?
No - each one was sewn to a piece of old BD material. Mike
Old 20-06-18, 08:31 PM

I worded my question badly - are the green/white/ red sections of the badges of the same fabric used for flags - possibly cut from flags?
Old 21-06-18, 01:43 AM

Default F Sqn

Gentlemen, I'm a happy man. It is so satisfying (and unusual) that as a group we can put back together a little history. For as long as this forum stays on-line there will now be a useful point of reference for some badges that are otherwise unknown.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed.

Stephen.
Old 21-06-18, 07:21 AM

A wealth of Italian uniform and insignia detail here (you have to be a member of the forum to view) but it'll take some time to filter through looking for images and information relevant to this thread.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=330279

The "Friuli" insignia is shown in wear here and also of metal.
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+Combattimento

Other threads on this forum include images of a co-belligerant artillery man's battle dress.

Better images of the para and double M GNR para badge:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Italian Para Badges resize~2.JPG (33.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Italian Para Badges reverse resize~2.JPG (40.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Italian Para Badges resize~3.JPG (28.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Italian Para Badges reverse resize~3.JPG (38.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 21-06-18, 08:08 AM

Default F Sqn

Thanks Leigh.

I'm not sure that political allegiances mattered when it came to picking a side to fight on after the Italian Armistice. Most of the Army disbanded itself and went home, only to find unemployment, and in the south destruction as well. Ex-soldiers from the areas controlled by the Allies re-joined to get a wage.
Men living behind German lines had a few choices: get conscripted as forced labour (so earning nothing & getting sent away from Italy); re-joining the Italian Army that was under fascist control (thereby being able to support their families financially) or becoming a Partisan!

Stephen.