British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-10, 08:26 AM

Hi Gents,
I also have a FIRMIN and a GAUNT example too with slider, so that's three makers that we know of for what should be a fairly scarce and early anodised badge. I recall from another thread that there was an example of RWF made were the flames were distorted and of poor quality - would be another 'example' to keep an eye out for.

I've found R A HUGHES badges are generally really nice quality and an earlier maker - although that is HAGWALTHERS area of expertise at present!

The only other slider anomilliy similar to this is a Grenadier Guards anodised cap badge with a slider and not lugs. This is a London Badge and Button Co example so a fairly late example.

All the best gents

Bess
Old 31-10-10, 08:17 PM

Bess,

Yes, there was an entire batch ( large one) of distorted badges and I never understood why they were accepted (I don't think they were checked), but I was so 'outraged' that as a lowly Cpl I went to see the QM, who was quite amused. Partly as a result, the CO authorised the PRI to purchase bi/m badges with sliders by Gaunt for soldiers to buy. These were nice badges but unusual in that they were lacquered and the nickel circlet was secured to the grenade not by brazing (too time consuming) but by the simple edifice of 2 pins protruding through 2 holes and then bent over. This was insecure and not soldier proof and many of us hand soldered them in the REME Wksp. This was about 1978-79.

The grenade part of the a/a badges that were distorted must have been produced in large numbers, as they were later used to make up TV 'prop' badges for both, early editions of Soldier Soldier, and an episode of Midsomer Murders involving a notional TA unit!

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 02-11-10 at 01:44 AM.
Old 31-10-10, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Thanks for the help Toby,have seen photos of WO with the embroided badge looks really good.

Made me think if the RRF had the same thing,have only come across lugged RRF.But NF and RF A/A were both slidered with no hackle holder.
I have no idea who came up with the notion of a hackle holder anyway, they were unnecessary and Scottish units never needed them. I think it must have been someone's 'bright idea'! I never used mine.
Old 01-11-10, 07:09 AM

Thanks Toby,
the kind of information you can try and research elsewhere all day long and never get there .. . . . .

Many thanks mate, I'll be looking at every anodised RWF badge I come across now with scrutiny!

Bess
Old 01-11-10, 10:52 AM

Default King's Own Fusiliers TV Regiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Bess,

Yes, there was an entire batch ( large one) of distorted badges and I never understood why they were accepted (I don't think they were checked), but I was so 'outraged' that as a lowly Cpl I went to see the QM, who was quite amused. Partly as a result the CO authorised the PRI to purchase bi/m badges with sliders by Gaunt for soldiers to buy. These were nice badges but unusual in that they were lacquered and the nickel circlet was secured to the grenade not by brazing (too time consuming) but by the simple edifice of 2 pins protruding through 2 holes and the bent over. This was insecure and not soldier proof and many of us hand soldered them in the REME Wksp. This was about 1978-79.

The grenade part of the a/a badges that were distorted must have been produced in large numbers, as they were later used to make up TV 'prop' badges for both, early editions of Soldier Soldier, and an episode of Midsomer Murders involving a notional TA unit!
Cap Badge and Hackle of the "King's Fusiliers" later in the series following amalgalmation with the "Cumbrian Regiment" retitled the "King's Own Fusiliers".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9710.jpg (50.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-11-10, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Cap Badge and Hackle of the "King's Fusiliers" later in the series following amalgalmation with the "Cumbrian Regiment" retitled the "King's Own Fusiliers".
But the badge changed as well.

Toby,did you possess a blackened RWF badge.If so,was this done in house or a produced item ?
Old 02-11-10, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Toby,did you possess a blackened RWF badge.If so,was this done in house or a produced item ?
Yes, we did it in house and we used matt land rover paint from the MT.

Sacrilege I know (I was young and over-enthusiastic), but for my own beret I blackened a spare all brass economy badge circa 1915 (with the spelling Welsh rather than Welch). I wanted to feel connected with the 14-18 men in whom I was in awe.

These same badges were still held in great numbers at the regimental depot during National Service in the 1950s. To make use of them the RSM arranged with the QM for defaulters on 'jankers' to be issued the badges temporarily so that they could be identified by SNCOs who they passed for any dirty jobs that required doing. How ingenious and typical of the Army!

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 02-11-10 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Cap Badge and Hackle of the "King's Fusiliers" later in the series following amalgalmation with the "Cumbrian Regiment" titled the "King's Own Fusiliers".
Yes, that is the badge I meant, although it was the first badge that the series used, rather than the second, I think. Look at the flames and you can see how distorted and uneven the tips are. That is the badge that we received, but with the correct PoW feathers and title circlet, superimposed of course.
Old 02-11-10, 10:06 AM

Quote:

For completeness here is a link to the "second pattern" badge worn by the King's Own Fusiliers. It follows the RRF design of grenade.

Set as a quiz by 2747andy

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...highlight=quiz
Old 19-11-10, 01:13 PM

Toby,
further to your entry here, I recently 'located' an example of this RWF badge on our favourite infamous internet auction site, for £3.

It is exactly as you described and is clearly the same as the image later shown and used on 'Soldier, Soldier'.

The quality of this badge is quite obviousely poor, the flames are uneven - particularly on the right as you look at it. It is very shiney and has no rear holder for the hackle.

Additionally the silver plumes and title circlet are askew and are not set straight. No wonder they were sent back.

Thanks for the above, it has alerted me (and others of course) to yet another slight variation.

Regards all

Bess
Old 20-11-10, 12:15 AM

I think i noticed an RRF the other day with a similar askew circlet.
Old 13-04-18, 08:38 PM

An old, old thread found whilst searching for some anod. al. info.
Virtually every RRF anod. al. badge I've ever seen has had an offset central device.
I've always considered it the norm.
Old 06-05-19, 03:08 AM

Does anyone know if the anod. al. version of the RWF badge with a short tubular pipe barrel type hackle fitting was produced and worn during the regiments's life time and if so when please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400 (30)~2.jpg (8.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 06-05-19 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Image added.
Old 10-05-19, 12:20 PM

More images of the badge, I haven't seen that type of hackle fitting before.

Edit to add that the flames are rather foreshortened and rounded on the right as viewed from the front and the gold colouring is of a very light shade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190510_131331750~2.jpg (55.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190510_131400717~2.jpg (60.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190510_131400717~3.jpg (60.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 10-05-19 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 04:05 PM

Leigh - new one on me. I've got 7 variations on the RWF (lug types, sliders, rivet numbers and configuration etc.). The usual type are a kind of closed triangle or an open triangle where the 'blades' can be pushed together to hold the hackle wires.

This badge I believe to be FIRMIN made - going by the flattened flames on the right, the 2 vertical rivet combination and the all one 'loop' flat lug construction.

Date wise couldn't say. I have a FIRMN bag with this badge in it - although not with the round tubular hackle holder but the closed triangle type (if you see what I mean). This is dated 08/06/05.

Interesting though . . . . another variation to look out for!

Regards all

Bess