British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-18, 02:03 AM

Default London Summer Trip

Hi,

I will be visiting London in early June and would like to take the opportunity to purchase a few cap badges to round out my collection. Can anyone recommend some militaria shops or even reputable street vendors that sell badges? I do not trust myself in most cases to distinguish an original badge from a well done restrike so I am willing to spend a little extra if I am confident the dealer in question is an honest broker. An internet search reveals a number of military antique stores in London that carry medals, bronze busts, china, and headdress but no mention is made of badges (perhaps because they are relatively inexpensive items?). Also are there any militaria fairs in the London area the first two weeks of June I might visit? Thanks in advance for any responses!
Old 06-04-18, 11:33 AM

I'd be interested in this as well if anyone can help, I'm going there around the same time.

Michael
Old 06-04-18, 01:11 PM

Just off Oxford St, is Leons Militaria.
Greys Antiques Centre, 58 Davies Street, London.
Ph. 02074912221
Mob. 07989649972.
Every time I go there someone has moved on, there where three dealers in the centre, there are a couple of floors, so have a mooch around you never know.
Regards Terry
Old 06-04-18, 06:17 PM

There are two militaria (etc) shops in Cecil Court - just up from Trafalgar Sq - it's a pedestrian alleyway connecting Charing Cross road and ---- duh, the one parallel to the east !
The shop on the N side (Stephen xxxx - who often turns up at fairs) has stamps, coins, medals etc etc etc and badges
The shop diagonally opposite on the S side is completely full of militaria - though swords uniforms etc etc leaves badges at the bottom of the pile.
Nevertheless, both worth a visit.
good luck
Old 06-04-18, 06:57 PM

Stephen's shop is a waste of time unless you go in on a Tuesday. I was told by the person in there that they only sell badges on Tuesday as thats when hes in. Wouldn't even let me look at any as it was a Thursday. I won't bother going inside anymore.
Old 06-04-18, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the help everyone.

There's a shop in Newcastle a bit like Stephen's, he is a coin dealer really but he has medals and badges in the window but every time I've asked he won't sell a simngle badge.

I'm trying to trace some family WW1 medals but he won't tell me the names on any of his stock, he just keeps telling me to buy some medal magazine and advertise in it.

It's a wierd way of running a shop.

Michael
Old 06-04-18, 08:24 PM

Hi Michael,

Its totally bizarre isn't it? Its like they actually don't want to make any money.
Old 06-04-18, 10:18 PM

I was in Stephen's shop last November and pretty sure it was a Thursday. I only found one badge, which turned out to be a collar. Not much there at all, and he didn't seem that interested in chatting or selling me anything that wasn't a medal.

I had more luck at the other shop just down from him on the other side. It was all mostly cloth, though. I don't remember anything metal.
David
Old 07-04-18, 03:11 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I will be in London in July for a few days. Am interested in any militaria fairs that might be happening in London or nearby during that month.
Old 07-04-18, 02:33 PM

There might be one at Bromley or Farnham that you could get to. I'm sure other members who go regularly can give you dates.
David
Old 07-04-18, 10:56 PM

War and peace show in Kent 24-28th July. Many members will be there. There’s an old boy from the Isle of Wight who sells badges😂
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I will be in London in July for a few days. Am interested in any militaria fairs that might be happening in London or nearby during that month.
Old 08-04-18, 06:46 AM

There also used to be the Saturday morning militaria market at Camden passage. Get off the tube at the Angel station, turn right out the doors at the street and about 100m down the road. Haven't been there for many years though.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-04-18, 08:14 AM

Do not think that the Camden Military market still operates, have been up a few times recently and no sign of what used to be a good venue I'm afraid.

Simon.
Old 08-04-18, 09:12 AM

I think it closed years ago - a pity, it was a good venue.
There are occasionally badge sellers under Ch Cross - at the S end under the big new block, butIi haven't been there for a while.
Old 08-04-18, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
There also used to be the Saturday morning militaria market at Camden passage. Get off the tube at the Angel station, turn right out the doors at the street and about 100m down the road. Haven't been there for many years though.
Cheers,
Alex
There is really nothing left there anymore

Hearts and Daggers, 14 Pierrepont Row, is pretty much it.