British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-14, 12:13 PM

Default Lake Superior Regiment (latest pick up)

Well it seems to have been a very long time since I got excited about adding anything new to my badge and insignia collection. For that matter, it has been a long time since I added anything at all to my insignia collection.

As many here will know, I collect Cap badges, Collar badges and Brass shoulder title insignia to those Regiments who saw service overseas during World War Two. I have managed all but a few, and honestly have pretty much come to the conclusion I will never complete it as what I am missing is either extremely rare or just way outside my price range. (and the fakes have me just disillusioned)

Last year, having never seen a Brass Title on the market for the Lake Superior Regiment, I picked up a single at a show in Ottawa. Well bless my eyes, Last week I saw a single being offered on eBay. I immediately added it to the long list of Medals I watch and low and behold, I placed a stupid high bid in the dying seconds and secured it for much less than my max bid.

I may or may not arrive before Christmas but when it does, I will quickly add it to my display board and post it on this topic.

I never added the first title I got to the board, but always, kept it on my desk so I knew where it was. Well I misplaced it during my July move and with obtaining this latest one, I was driven to find it. After about 1 hour, I found it. This for me is a personal record, when I misplace things, it usually takes me months to locate them again.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 19-12-14, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe this will kindle the badge fire again Cliff? I saw that title as well. Not easy to find.
Old 20-12-14, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Maybe this will kindle the badge fire again Cliff? I saw that title as well. Not easy to find.
Hello Bill,
I have to say I was surprised to get it at the price I did. And you are right, not an easy to find title.

Lets hope it rekindles the badge fire. With all the dodgy items, bickering and such, I have pretty much given up. I saw this title and honestly, got a little excited over it. I also have to admit that I fully expected someone to post it here or on FB bringing it to the attention of the masses with a description along the lines of... " Hey all, I don't collect this stuff, but check out this rarely seen title on eBay"

When I receive it, I will add it to the Lake Superior Regiment display card and post it here.

Old 20-12-14, 03:12 PM

Hello Cliff,

Wonderful news! It is so grant when a long wanted item turns up. Many congratulations and I'm thrilled for you. It only takes one Cliff..!

Can't wait to see some pics.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 23-12-14, 05:13 PM

Well I got my missing Brass title today. Unfortunately, I suck rocks when it comes to taking photographs. Here is the best I can manage. The first is my Lake Superior Regiment Insignia, the second is what I have displayed for the 4th Canadian Armoured Division. These look so much better in person than in these photos. Certtainly, justice is NOT being done here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lake Superior Regt (Custom).JPG (95.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 4th Div (Custom).JPG (56.2 KB, 73 views)

Old 23-12-14, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Cliff, Nice display. Only one question, where is the cloth?
Old 23-12-14, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Cliff, Nice display. Only one question, where is the cloth?
LOL, I was thinking about adding cloth examples, as I have pretty much completed this overall display. (Instead, I spend my money on Medals) But, I know nothing about cloth and would certainly spend lots of money on crap (read fake) and post war stuff without really knowing what I am doing. I think it would make the whole collection turn to poop.

It is bad enough I am using a Reunion Badge for the 8th RECCE.

Old 23-12-14, 07:53 PM

...a nice display Clifford,congrats.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-12-14, 02:41 AM

Default LSR badges.......

Pylon1357:
Very nice display, however, one (to me) glaring error.
The GGFG cardboard displays 2 flaming grenades. This is wrong, as the GGFG never used flaming grenades as collar badges. (Yes, I know that they are shown in Mazeas` 1920-1950 book, but this was an error that was never corrected. I speak with some authority, as I was a longstanding member of the Regiment, and we never ever used flaming grenades as collars, in any time period. If anything, the flaming grenade motif is a Canadian Grenadier Guards insignia. Perhaps Mazeas switched Guards insignia by mistake?
Cheers,
John S.
Old 25-12-14, 03:46 PM

Default SAR collars

Hello Cliff
Are the South Alberta Regiment collars that are shown in the photo happen to be OSD collars. I have been looking for a matching pair for some time now and no joy.
Moe
Old 25-12-14, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
Pylon1357:
Very nice display, however, one (to me) glaring error.
The GGFG cardboard displays 2 flaming grenades. This is wrong, as the GGFG never used flaming grenades as collar badges. (Yes, I know that they are shown in Mazeas` 1920-1950 book, but this was an error that was never corrected. I speak with some authority, as I was a longstanding member of the Regiment, and we never ever used flaming grenades as collars, in any time period. If anything, the flaming grenade motif is a Canadian Grenadier Guards insignia. Perhaps Mazeas switched Guards insignia by mistake?
Cheers,
John S.
Thanks for this correction John S. I just looked in the Reference Section and noted there are no collars shown for the GGFG. Is this in fact the case? There were no collars worn by the Regiment during the WWII period?

Moe, in regards to the South Alberta Regiment collars, honestly, these were the only collars I had seen for them. I have had them for quite some time.

I suppose I should spend a little time at the next show, looking around again at insignia. I have been so focused on Medals the last few years, as my interest in badges and insignia has fallen victim to the loads of fakes, reproductions and overall garbage that seems to be so prevalent anymore.

When I walk into a show and see those guys pushing their $10.00 knives, fake German insignia and other various crap, I put on my blinders and focus on medals (my happy place) LOL

Old 26-12-14, 02:08 AM

Default LSR latest pickup.....

Pylon1357:
I have seen photos of officers wearing collars on the summer drill tunic, but this was only in the 1939/40 period. Collars were not worn on any order of dress for either officers or other ranks for the rest of WWII, and this continued up until unification made OSD uniforms obsolete around 1970/71.
Currently, the only time you will see collars worn by the GGFG will be on full dress scarlet tunics, or on SNCO/officers mess dress.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 27-12-14, 03:21 PM

Default Collars

Cliff: Nice collection and thank you for the reply.

John: Would GGFG officers have worn collars between WWI and WWII?

Cheers

Moe
Old 27-12-14, 07:23 PM

Default GGFG collars WWI-WWII era....

MoeRCNR:
GGFG officers wearing khaki service dress in the interwar period would not wear metal collar badges. Since the GGFG is allied and mirrors the clothing regulations of the British Coldstream Guards (who also did not wear metal collars badges), this practice was considered normal, and continues up to the present.
SNCO`s however did wear metal collar badges on their khaki jackets during this era. In the Drill Hall in Ottawa, in the GGFG Sgts & WO`s Mess is a Mess photo of the 1920`s which illustrates this fact.
Cheers,
John S.
Old 28-12-14, 03:23 PM

Default Thanks

Hello John
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Moe