British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-12-14, 10:37 PM

Default Fantasy AB title?

Hi

I got this in a bundle of post-WW2 corps titles as part of a trade. It's very well made and 10cm across.

Sorry I don't have any AB references and wondered what could be said about it if anything. Perhaps made for an Association or Occasion?

Thanks.

regards
Darrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1503.JPG (38.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1505.JPG (37.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Darrell; 05-12-14 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add image
Old 06-12-14, 08:54 AM

Not a fantasy title mate but a real unit. History here.

The first thing I always do when in doubt is to Google and see what comes up. 99% of the time something does.
Old 06-12-14, 01:58 PM

Darrell, I'm not an expert, however I would be leery of that badge as authentic. More knowledgeable types may either back me up or shoot me down as required. Upon arrival in the UK, 1 Can Para was given direction to come up with a shoulder badge design to replace the white on green "Airborne Canada" title. The first design spelled out "First" on the title which was rejected. It was replaced by the numeral "1" -- no "st". Two other points, the tab at the top of your badge is too small in width, and there is no dark green around the edge as there is on any recognized badge from that time. Hope this helps. If you can access Ken Joyce's "Into The Maelstrom", that'll give you good info.

Hussar, yes the unit did exist. However, as I state above, this badge doesn't match any known issue or private purchase example. Too much wrong with it.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 06-12-14, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Darrell, I'm not an expert, however I would be leery of that badge as authentic. More knowledgeable types may either back me up or shoot me down as required. Upon arrival in the UK, 1 Can Para was given direction to come up with a shoulder badge design to replace the white on green "Airborne Canada" title. The first design spelled out "First" on the title which was rejected. It was replaced by the numeral "1" -- no "st". Two other points, the tab at the top of your badge is too small in width, and there is no dark green around the edge as there is on any recognized badge from that time. Hope this helps. If you can access Ken Joyce's "Into The Maelstrom", that'll give you good info.

Hussar, yes the unit did exist. However, as I state above, this badge doesn't match any known issue or private purchase example. Too much wrong with it.

Ian
Thanks Ian. Authenticity isn't my forte I'm afraid so thank you for your educated comments.
Old 06-12-14, 02:05 PM

It am not a big collector of post WWII shoulder flashes but I have never seen this variation before and never seen it in any books that I can recall. It is 100% not WWII era.
To me it looks poorly made. I would not add it to my collection.

Last edited by 48th; 06-12-14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

1 Cdn Para Bn was disbanded on Sept 30, 1945, at the same time as the Canadian Parachute Corps. The approved shoulder title for the 1 Cdn Para Bn was produced in white embroidery on maroon with a green border.
The title in question is not an authorized title. It appears to copy British airborne insignia colours, pale blue on maroon. A fantasy piece. It is the first of its kind I have seen.
As Ian says TOO MUCH wrong with it.
Old 06-12-14, 08:51 PM

Hi

Thank you all for that. I had attempted to find a like badge with Google but no luck. I too am leery of it and although I don't have Joyce's book have never seen this unit in the, as said, British style. I am aware of what the authorized patterns were.

So....just a fantasy piece then. Oh, and it is not poorly made. Good stiff cloth and tight stitching. The first letter sizes are off but it's not a dirt floor job.

Thanks everyone.

regards
Darrell
Old 06-12-14, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Hi

Thank you all for that. I had attempted to find a like badge with Google but no luck. I too am leery of it and although I don't have Joyce's book have never seen this unit in the, as said, British style. I am aware of what the authorized patterns were.

So....just a fantasy piece then. Oh, and it is not poorly made. Good stiff cloth and tight stitching. The first letter sizes are off but it's not a dirt floor job.

Thanks everyone.

regards
Darrell
When I am saying it looks poorly made I am not talking about if the stitches are tight...Compare it with other Canadian WWII shoulder flashes of any regiment and you will see. The letters are thin, the title has very poor use of space and very generic looking in general. Any modern computerized sewing/embroidery machine could pump that out in a blink of an eye. There for it is a "poorly" made shoulder title.
Old 06-12-14, 09:54 PM

Default Reference Books

I would think that after reading this thread that anyone interested in or collecting Canadian Airborne insignia would go out and purchase a copy of "Into the Maelstrom".

It is listed for only $60.00 and once you have the book you will be armed with the correct knowledge about the insignia, saving you time and perhaps more importantly money.
Old 06-12-14, 10:05 PM

I do not collect 1st Can Parra but I do have the Into the Maelstrom book.
I find it a good overall book on the topic but found it lacking in detail on certain subjects. Although I do hear new books will be coming out that will cover subjects such as the wings and shoulder titles.
Old 15-12-14, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Using some reverse logic in this case, the title in question has never been seen or discussed on this Forum or others that I frequent. That in itself should raise questions. Why, if such a title was used, has it not been recorded or photographed? In other words, the lack of previous information about this should be an indication of the provenance, or better lack of provenance.
Old 17-12-14, 12:15 PM

Hi

To be more clear, I knew from the get-go that this was not an authorized or worn pattern. My query was more related to if it had been previously seen by the knowledgeable members here. My interest was to present this badge for view and perhaps illicit comments for general Forum membership learning.

As we see in this thread, some know more than others but everyone has learned.

I do not collect AB but in the course of my buying and selling, do run across Cdn AB Stuff. Unloaded a very nice 1944 British AB helmet to a 1 Can Para man last month and gained a rapid education in AB Helmets. With regard to the stuff that is badges and relatively unknown to me, I sometimes refer to the corporate knowledge here. Doubtful I'll buy an AB reference book but I do have a chum's who's I borrow.

Again, my thanks to you all.

regards
Darrell
Old 28-12-14, 02:37 AM

Thanks for posting the interesting looking 1st Can Para shoulder flash Darrell, I can’t say I have ever seen this version before.

Cheers
Old 28-12-14, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I would think that after reading this thread that anyone interested in or collecting Canadian Airborne insignia would go out and purchase a copy of "Into the Maelstrom".

It is listed for only $60.00 and once you have the book you will be armed with the correct knowledge about the insignia, saving you time and perhaps more importantly money.

I agree fully. Into the Maelstrom by Ken Joyce is definitely a must have book in your library of 1st Can Para reference materials. There will also be another reference book coming out strictly on Airborne Insignia published by MM (Military Mode) author, Oliver Lock. If you already own any of their books on British Airborne Headdress by Daniel Fisher & Oliver Lock, or Denison by Bruce Wilson, then you have a pretty good idea of the quality of reference book you will be receiving.

Cheers