British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-10, 03:43 PM

Default Northumberland Fusiliers AA

Hi Guys,
I saw a Northumberland Fusiliers anodised badge today at the local market, it looked like the RRF shape (see picture), is this a recognised pattern for this badge or a fake?
Thanks
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, QC, Bi.jpg (72.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 31-08-10, 04:28 PM

The Thing is it is really a Royal Regiment Of Fusiliers Capbadge. It hasn't changed less two little hooks at the back since it was the Fusilier Brigade Badge in 1958. So worn by NF's until disbandment / amalgamation in 1969, but not technically a NF badge.

It looks fine from the front. If it has Lugs and a little loop for the hackle at the back it's fine.
Old 31-08-10, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

An anodised version of the Northumberland Fusiliers does exist (I have one). Whether they were made for the collectors' market is a possibility.
Old 31-08-10, 04:35 PM

Hi,
I have the normal shaped NF cap badge in AA but this one was £10 and just looked like a RRF badge to me so didn't buy it.
Thanks again guys
Bill
Old 31-08-10, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
An anodised version of the Northumberland Fusiliers does exist (I have one). Whether they were made for the collectors' market is a possibility.
Hello - There is no authorised pattern for an a/a cap badge to the RNF. OWH
Old 31-08-10, 09:22 PM
Mr. Jackanory

From speaking to a member of the NF many years ago who served before, through the brigade system and after. I don't belive that the AA badge was worn in the regiment.
Matti
Old 31-08-10, 09:54 PM

Thanks Matti, glad I didn't get it now.
Bill
Old 31-08-10, 11:22 PM

Default Royal Northumberland Fusiliers in A/A

Hi Guys,

This badge (CB 3109) was authorised for issue and were bulk manufactured. They are recorded in the CCN of 1963 and also in Cap Badge Prices - Annex A to Eastern Command dated 25th November 1966 held at Kew where they are priced at 1 shilling and 5 pence each.

Also I have them recorded in a Branston delivery document dated 13th May 1960 for 84 examples being from contract 01155.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-09-10, 06:29 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Is it possible that it was worn by cadets or Territorials as the Brigade system was well under way by 1963?
Matti
Old 01-09-10, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Is it possible that it was worn by cadets or Territorials as the Brigade system was well under way by 1963?
Matti
Could be Matti - Annex A was for Territorial battalions.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-09-10, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you read the various editions of Major Edwards' books it is clear that very few of the Regular Regts were wearing a/a badges before 1960 and the change from metal to a/a for the 'old' design of Infantry badges did not happen until long after the Regular Bns were wearing the new a/a Brigade system badges.

This is reflected by the sealed pattern dates on 1965/6 for these designs. This also applies for the changeover from Kings to Queen crowns. Contrary to what is stated about pre and post 1953, metal Kings crown badges were the norm until well into the 1960s in many cases.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 02-09-10 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 12:52 PM

NOTE TO MODERATOR - What a cowardly little specimen you are ! Sitting behind your little 'delete' button pretending (to yourself alone I assure you) that you hold supreme power. You don't even have the balls to communicate and your posts show a singular lack of fundemental knowledge of the subject over which you reign as someone's 'lieutenant'. It is the moderation of this site that makes it the pathetic and ill-informed shambles it really is. So, please remove any remaining symbols of my short term involvement and enjoy the resultant interlude of m**turbation ! OWH
Old 01-09-10, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old War Horse View Post
NOTE TO MODERATOR - What a cowardly little specimen you are ! Sitting behind your little 'delete' button pretending (to yourself alone I assure you) that you hold supreme power. You don't even have the balls to communicate and your posts show a singular lack of fundemental knowledge of the subject over which you reign as someone's 'lieutenant'. It is the moderation of this site that makes it the pathetic and ill-informed shambles it really is. So, please remove any remaining symbols of my short term involvement and enjoy the resultant interlude of m**turbation ! OWH

Thanks for the input David.
Old 01-09-10, 10:02 PM

Haha alan, I don't know what brought that on but I'm glad it wasn't me upsetting him (for a change).
Old 01-09-10, 10:10 PM

M**turbation could be the way forward and it's even cheaper than badge collecting!

Tags
anodised badge, northumberland fusiliers, staybright