British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-17, 04:15 PM

Default Is this a military badge Indian ??

I have a pair of these gilt badges, 3.6cms across, 4 rear pins, donkey / mule in the centre and what appears to be Sankrit writing at the bottom. Any ideas, not even sure if they are military, but they did come with a few WW1 badges, possibly Indian ?

DSCF4056.jpg

DSCF4057.jpg

DSCF4058.jpg
Old 15-11-17, 07:16 AM

Order of the Golden Donkey !!!??

No offence meant! The writing at the bottom appears to be one of the south-Indian scripts, but no idea what it is..Doubt whether it is military though.
Old 15-11-17, 08:05 AM

Hello

could it be furniture, clock, decoration..... ??

cordially
Didier
Old 15-11-17, 09:07 AM

Thanks for your replies, it is a bit of a mystery, as you say, probably not military, but it did come with a collection of WW1 Canadian badges, so who knows ???? Maybe it is the Order of the Golden Donkey as suggested
Old 15-11-17, 09:58 AM

Looks more like a hare to me. Whatever, I'm convinced it isn't military - looks more like a decorative fitment. Possibly even with a reference to hunting

GTB
Old 15-11-17, 10:55 AM

I do believe you`re right, it is indeed a hare or rabbit, didn`t notice the short tail.
Old 15-11-17, 01:07 PM

I believe that one of the British units - possibly the Transport Corps - rejoiced in the nickname 'Donley Wallopers' but, no, this is not an Indian military badge and, like others, I suspect it is a) a rabbit and b) purely decorative.

Not convinced that the squiggles at the bottom are Deva Nagri script either, though they may be intended for that. But, as I don't read that script I may be wrong.
Old 15-11-17, 04:31 PM

the 'key' border looks Chinese to me and the hare or rabbit features in their iconography .... I would guess a Chinese good luck charm & perhaps related to the Chinese Year of the Rabbit.
Old 16-11-17, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post
the 'key' border looks Chinese to me and the hare or rabbit features in their iconography .... I would guess a Chinese good luck charm & perhaps related to the Chinese Year of the Rabbit.
I should add that the plant depicted is the lotus , which features in both Indian and Chinese decoration , but in conjunction with the key pattern border and the rabbit , this makes the badge sure to be Chinese .
Old 16-11-17, 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=Not convinced that the squiggles at the bottom are Deva Nagri script either, though they may be intended for that. But, as I don't read that script I may be wrong. [/QUOTE]

Hi Peter,
It's not Devanagri script. That's used in most North Indian languages. This is almost certainly one of the Dravidian languages from down south I think- either Malayalam or Kannada ... I'm a south Indian myself and the former is my mother tongue, but am sorry to say that I unfortunately cannot read it..anyway neither here no there
Old 16-11-17, 07:44 AM

Thank you everyone for your interesting comments and suggestions, looks like they`re going to remain a mystery for now.
Old 16-11-17, 12:56 PM

I am pretty sure that it is a Sri Lankan badge. I had an aluminium badge of a similar design.
Old 16-11-17, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Hi Peter,
It's not Devanagri script. That's used in most North Indian languages. This is almost certainly one of the Dravidian languages from down south I think- either Malayalam or Kannada ... I'm a south Indian myself and the former is my mother tongue, but am sorry to say that I unfortunately cannot read it..anyway neither here no there
That's my bias showing, Khyber! My interest in the old Indian Army, especially the units on the Western Front - the Rwwalpindi, Peshawar, and Secunderbad Brigades - predisposes me to think 'northern' when I think India. My sincere apologies! I was infected earlier in life by the old 'martial races' nonsense and tend to fall pray to it from time to time if I'm not careful.

Chinese makes sense to me too, but if someone has a confirmed example from Sri Lanka, I suppose that's the answer. And one of the reasons I love this forum! An early girl friend once referred to my 'storehouse of mental dross' and where but here would I ever get to share it with like minded... gentlemen?

Peter