British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-11, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
This is the blackened WW1 Gloucestershire. Front and back. Got this from period belt with 40+ others on it.

I originally asked if it could be a TF as it was blackened, but I was told by the team this was a common thing in the trench's to reduce glare.

Simon.
Surely everyone wore helmets in the trenches.

Gordon
Old 22-02-11, 05:49 PM

Not until late 1915. They wore the peaked cap well into early part of that year. The helmet wasn't developed until the power's above realized even with trench's, shrapnel was killing and wounding more from above - hence the helmet rim diameter being approximately the area of the shoulders.

Simon.
Old 22-02-11, 05:50 PM
martin gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
Surely everyone wore helmets in the trenches.

Gordon
heh,
great thread, nice group of genuine badges, the things these badges will have seen eh? martin
Old 22-02-11, 05:50 PM

The only one I really like is the brass Cheshire's. None of the others would sit happily in my collection as they're all pretty much non descript, least of all the Gloucestershire's as I hate nickel badges with black rears, a sure sign of artifical ageing.
Old 22-02-11, 05:55 PM
martin gregory

Default FSC

Quote:
Not until late 1915. They wore the peaked cap well into early part of that year. The helmet wasn't developed until the power's above realized even with trench's, shrapnel was killing and wounding more from above - hence the helmet rim diameter being approximately the area of the shoulders.

Simon.
wow simon i never knew that, when i thought about it i guess the the german troops we wearing picklehaube's too. unprepared clearly for 'modern warefare'
again, thanks, an interesting fact. M
Old 22-02-11, 06:02 PM
martin gregory

Default keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
The only one I really like is the brass Cheshire's. None of the others would sit happily in my collection as they're all pretty much non descript, least of all the Gloucestershire's as I hate nickel badges with black rears, a sure sign of artifical ageing.
keith surely the lincons & south staffs are ok too though, and a well made point about the black ageing on rear of w/m, it can look effective but its 'not right'. this one glos i wouldn't know but it i hope it is! ever the optomist,martin
Old 22-02-11, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

I had one of these blackened ones. I agree that it was probably blackened for field use.
Old 22-02-11, 06:32 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
This is the blackened WW1 Gloucestershire. Front and back. Got this from period belt with 40+ others on it.

I originally asked if it could be a TF as it was blackened, but I was told by the team this was a common thing in the trench's to reduce glare.

Simon.
Hello again Simon,

I think you've missed the point here, I'm not questioning your badge, nor the fact that they may be blackened but the fact that BC's is blackened on the reverse, which I'm sure didn't happen ??

See what I mean ??

Dave.
Old 22-02-11, 06:45 PM

Sure Dave,I understood. I put it up for Badgecollector to see one, and show what the team was saying about the back being an issue, as I know mine was a legit and from the period.

Simon.
Old 22-02-11, 07:50 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Cheers Simon,

All I need to do now is to understand what I'm meant to understand and possibly get myself cured of that dreaded ' foot in mouth ' disease ???

Dave.
Old 22-02-11, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin gregory View Post
keith surely the lincons & south staffs are ok too though, and a well made point about the black ageing on rear of w/m, it can look effective but its 'not right'. this one glos i wouldn't know but it i hope it is! ever the optomist,martin
They may well be all OK, but there's nothing about them that makes me feel they're earlier than 1970 other than the Cheshire's. If they've cost a pound or two each no problem but much more than that and you can pick up definate genuine ones.