British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-12-17, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Hi here is an Aircrew brass badge with screw-posts, could fit the bill to be used as a Pathfinder badge and the 2nd a Silver Albatross which I was informed was a Pathfinders and as I see in all probability miss-informed, nice badge all the same but now I ask is this nothing more than a Sweet-hearts brooch! not that that,s a bad thing!! any information would be welcome and hope i,ve posted something usefull to some-one!
There is no such thing as an Albatross badge in connection with either the RNAS or the RAF. IT IS, and always has been, AN EAGLE BADGE FOR BOTH !
Old 05-01-18, 01:54 PM

Well said, I think the problem is simply that a number of people have clearly never actually seen an Albatross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjks View Post
There is no such thing as an Albatross badge in connection with either the RNAS or the RAF. IT IS, and always has been, AN EAGLE BADGE FOR BOTH !
Old 06-01-18, 04:22 PM

Commonly known within the RAF as a shitehawk, or certainly was in my father's time and my time.
Old 08-01-18, 01:57 PM

This has been discussed on a number of occasions, quite frankly, any eagle actually worn as a Pathfinder badge, by a member of 8 Group, is, in effect, a Pathfinder badge, notwithstanding, what it may have originally been intended for.
The only difference is that the badge you refer to was actually made as a Pathfinder badge, it has been suggested that these are post war, made for the PFF Association, but, like you, I believe that some were issued to members of 8 Group during the war, moreover, I too, have had them in good original groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Sqdn View Post
This is a subject on which there is much debate, with an almost impossible goal of agreement. As a staff member at the RAF Pathfinder Museum, I have access to many established and contemporary examples.

The types and styles of the PF badges in the collection include those with pin backs, screw posts and 'blade' fittings. All such types were definitely worn as period pieces.

The type I personally favour is the pin back version with the 'barrel' pin holder and 'squared' catch loop, but that is not to say that the other types are not 'right'.

I would suggest that badges which do not come direct from veterans must be treated with caution unless accompanied by undoubted provenance and / or an original Pathfinder award certificate signed by AVM D.C.T. Bennett.

I have in my own collection one which I believe is beyond doubt, which came with no certificate, direct from a veteran's family with medals and other undoubted original documents. It is the same type as offered for viewing by forum member 'arrestingu' earlier in this thread.
Old 12-03-18, 09:52 AM

What are your thoughts on this example?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-RAF-P...sAAOSwVoFaoq-C
Old 12-03-18, 03:42 PM

I think it's significant that there have been no bids. That tells you something, doesn't it?
David
Old 20-10-18, 02:56 PM

A brooched eagle minus pin.
The hinge fitting has been solder repaired or adapted to brooch pin at some time.
The hook fitting is original to the badge and is of yellow metal matching the eagle.
Is the hook adapted from a lug fitting (I haven't seen that sort of lug fitting before if it is) or was it originally fitted as a hook?
A badge adapted from lugged to a brooched sweetheart or a badge that was originally brooched?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181020_152212409~2.jpg (19.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181020_152247050~2.jpg (14.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181020_152221839~2.jpg (15.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181020_152254252~2.jpg (21.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181020_152410519~2.jpg (41.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181020_152422852~2.jpg (35.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 30-01-19, 01:52 PM

Again, another eagle, unless, you know the original wearer's identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
A brooched eagle minus pin.
The hinge fitting has been solder repaired or adapted to brooch pin at some time.
The hook fitting is original to the badge and is of yellow metal matching the eagle.
Is the hook adapted from a lug fitting (I haven't seen that sort of lug fitting before if it is) or was it originally fitted as a hook?
A badge adapted from lugged to a brooched sweetheart or a badge that was originally brooched?
Old 30-01-19, 01:59 PM

Yes, it is.
The question was re. the fittings.
I'm taking the badge to be a form of sweetheart.
Old 30-01-19, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
I am willing to send you pics of the back for personal use only, but will not post it, due to all the copying and fakers around. They can improve their faking skills enough as it is.... but not at my expense.
David
Yet to see them achieve it. The problem is not the fakers imo (in my opinion) but the ignorance of people that collect. Forums like this exist to educate, to sift through the facts, misinformation and disinformation.
I was doubtful about one Rhodesian item I saw in a decade. One out of thousands.
'When learning stops ignorance flourishes.' — Me.
Old 31-01-19, 07:44 AM

It would depend simply upon who wore it, you have posted the photograph in a Pathfinder badge thread, members of the Pathfinder force wore the badges they were given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yes, it is.
The question was re. the fittings.
I'm taking the badge to be a form of sweetheart.