British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-17, 05:42 PM

In response to Phil's request....

The flash with the Jimmy and the Signals colours is the current Signals formation flash. The old 'bokkop' (buck head) has been replaced by the Jimmy.

The one directly below is the Army Gymnasium flash although the colours are 'off'

The other 3 are apparently 'fantasy' flashes i.e. the units did exist in some capacity but the flashes were never approved by SADF Heraldry.

I hope that helps ?

Note: They were included in some flashes that I purchased a while ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20245362_829175850584092_6976039876084529840_n.jpg (102.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by markh6964; 19-07-17 at 05:20 PM.
Old 19-07-17, 12:24 PM

Hi Mark
It's an impressive collection. Hopefully the forum will help it to grow.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-08-17, 01:12 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Mark, what a great display, thanks for sharing. And G'day to the other Phil as well.

Regards

Phil.
Old 09-08-17, 09:10 PM

G'Day Phil, nice to hear from you.
Phil.
Old 10-08-17, 07:38 AM

Default Signals Badges

Hi Mark,
You have a fantastic collection of SADF and SANDF badges and insignia. Well done. Have you ever seen a Zambia Signal Corps cap badge? Not the three different arm shields but a beret badge? I had to interview a New Zealander for our RNZSigs Corps History about 25 years ago who was OC 1 Zambia Signal Squadron before he went to RhSigs and he gave me his cap badge. It was a Royal Signals cap badge without a crown. I know there was some suggestion that the cap badge was supposed to have a Fish Eagle where a crown would go but I have never actually seen the badge with it. I would be interested to know if you or anyone else has seen one. Before switching to Arab Gulf State badges I had a collection of about 3000 world wide army signal badges including most of the South African ones.
Best regards,
Quicksilver aka Cliff Lord
Old 20-09-17, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Hi Mark,
You have a fantastic collection of SADF and SANDF badges and insignia. Well done. Have you ever seen a Zambia Signal Corps cap badge? Not the three different arm shields but a beret badge? I had to interview a New Zealander for our RNZSigs Corps History about 25 years ago who was OC 1 Zambia Signal Squadron before he went to RhSigs and he gave me his cap badge. It was a Royal Signals cap badge without a crown. I know there was some suggestion that the cap badge was supposed to have a Fish Eagle where a crown would go but I have never actually seen the badge with it. I would be interested to know if you or anyone else has seen one. Before switching to Arab Gulf State badges I had a collection of about 3000 world wide army signal badges including most of the South African ones.
Best regards,
Quicksilver aka Cliff Lord
HI Cliff,

Sorry for the late reply....thanks for the kind words regarding my collection, it is a work in progress as I still need a few items to complete it. In response to your question, no I have not seen a Zambia Signal Corps cap badge. I like you i was led to believe that in place of the crown there would be an eagle as per the insignia on the flashes but to date i have not actually seen the real deal. I will do some enquiries with my signals mates to see if they have seen one before......
I will get back to you asap

Mark

Last edited by markh6964; 21-09-17 at 12:00 AM.
Old 21-09-17, 01:13 AM

Thanks Mark. Hope you have some success.
Cliff
Old 21-09-17, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Thanks Mark. Hope you have some success.
Cliff
Hi Cliff,

I have posed the question with my Signal Corps colleagues and also with all the folks in the various collectors groups that I belong to.....

When and if I get any responses you will be the first to know......

Cheers

Mark
Old 22-09-17, 09:49 AM

I may add that I wrote to Zambia Defence and directly to the unit which if I recall correctly was at Ndola plus military attache in London about 10 times over about 30 years and only ever had one reply which was not to bother them. My contacts in Rhodesia did not know what they had after 1970.
Good luck,

Cliff