British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-18, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Maybe I'm not enough of a purist but if I had a badge made on an original run of badges for an army order, I'd be quite happy to have it in my collection and would consider it an original badge, just not issued.
Cheers,
Alex
I agree with you - and I knew I would get into trouble.

When I wrote this, I was thinking of one particular badge, that was ordered for one person only. *)
Serious collectors suddenly faced a gap in their collection.
Within half a year, an identical badge was offered by a traders and then another one etc.

Now, are they all originals or is the one that was issued the one and only?
I agree I would be happy with any badge from an original production run.
I was gifted a non-selected design from one of the members of a design team. Many years later a set was on e-bay -unidentified-, probably part of Pitt's overrun.

*) I know only one badge was issued. A few more items may have been ordered and put into storage.
Old 06-01-18, 03:04 AM

Sean, for me a restrike is a badge made from the original die but at a later date. For example - the EY GM beret badge was originally made with no maker mark but then come the 70s a number appear with a Gaunt backstamp. Same die but fortunately the maker mark easily shows it to be later (and would never have been worn - by that stage the unit were wearing R Signals badges). Fortunately easy to identify here but I'm sure most often that's not the case.

On your Irish Guards badge could the right hand one be made from the genuine but very worn die? Facially it looks (to me) comparable to the one with provenance bar the wear. For me the different lug location would be an indicator that the badge may not be right though.

Just my thoughts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK2331 GM copy.jpg (27.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg MM Gaunt restrike.jpg (26.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-01-18, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mcconnell View Post
Your right Sean it stood proudly for all my time which saw you guys hand over to the Grenadiers I left in December 1991 for two years in the UK.I remember drinking in the Landsman towards the end of my tour so I think the Dallas was closed by then.

Mac
Im sure there was a big fire in one of the Bars.
Andy
Old 06-01-18, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mcconnell View Post
Its a Carpark now............gutted spent hours there billy ginn, yogi, crow some of the names I remember Colin Fitzpatrick he was a big guy, I went on RR in Canada with the provo Cpl but I cant remember his name

Best Mac
Crow ! Thats what i got called, a lot !!!!!
Andy
Old 07-01-18, 08:31 AM

Default fakes

Now even the well known fakes are being called original restrikes will it ever end. I know even some of our more trusted dealers sell these things . Even that horrid QRL crossed Lancer job has appeared on at least 3 of the best sites.
As well as the stinging prices they ask. Last year I noted a few items that went under the hammer to return on trader sites at double the price.

That said this site is full of info on all manner of badges a half hour trawl on your chosen item will leave you a lot wiser and better off.

The picture I have attached comes up on most Arm Badge /Arm motto/ChaDD searches and is a complete fake.

Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1404NDNFV7C.jpg (4.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-01-18, 02:36 PM

I personally take restrikes as being Fake items. Just my opinion though.
Andy