British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-08, 08:58 AM
Badge Guru

Has anyone got in their collections a genuine 20th Hussars badge? I am sure this badge has to be one of the hardest badges to identify as original. I have noted two types one with the circular O and the O that is more oval. The reproductions do appear to have very neatly soldered sliders.

I had explored the possibility that genuine badges might not be sharp on the reverse, however I then bought a genuine collar dog which I knew to be one hundred percent genuine and that was very sharp. So much for that idea.

All help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

This is a badge I believe to be fake is has the oval O however all the repro examples on eBay have the round O. So there must be fakes of both types.

Last edited by Alan O; 09-06-08 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-06-08, 10:10 AM

JJ
I will post a picture of mine later when i get time which i think is genuine.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 09-06-08, 10:32 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Smile

I have an officers silver marked example - do you want pictures?
David

Last edited by Alan O; 09-06-08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-06-08, 10:46 AM
Badge Guru

Hi Dave,

I`m really looking for pictures of the OR all brass badge from collections. I believe there is also a NCO's cap badge with white metal X's as I have photographs taken in 1910 of this badge ar Scarborough. This was my great uncles first regiment which is why I`m interested.

For those posting the OR badge I would like to know if their badges feels sharp on the reverse where the die has left the edge of the X's. Also if their badge has a crimp line on the slider.
Old 09-06-08, 11:24 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

I'll see what I have got this evening. I might have a brass one - although now, I am not sure whether its genuine or not...
Will get back to you tomorrow. David

Last edited by Alan O; 09-06-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 02:54 AM

Smile

This is one - which I believe to be genuine - with a slider and JR Gaunts mark on it. David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20thHussarsBrassBackJRGaunt_75PC.jpg (65.7 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 10-06-08 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 02:56 AM

Heres the front. David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20thHussarsBrassFrontJRGaunt.jpg (73.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 10-06-08 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 02:59 AM

Question Ref Genuine - Non-genuine 20H

Do I assume that as mine has an oval O - even with the makers mark on the slider - that it is a fake? David
(I am referring to the 2 pictures of the badge I sent earlier).

Last edited by Alan O; 10-06-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

David,

I am afraid that mark is a fake. Gaunts did not use that particular style and font and did not mark their ORs badges until WW2 and even then only a few. That particular mark with the full stop is typically found on Ebay fakes such as those sold by Taxicar and other sellers of repro.

Sorry but I am quite certain that it is a wrong one.

Alan
Old 10-06-08, 08:01 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
David,

I am afraid that mark is a fake. Gaunts did not use that particular style and font and did not mark their ORs badges until WW2 and even then only a few. That particular mark with the full stop is typically found on Ebay fakes such as those sold by Taxicar and other sellers of repro.

Sorry but I am quite certain that it is a wrong one.

Alan
aaaaaaahhhhhh - so the gaunts is a fake. ok. Does that mean the silver marked one is as well?

David
Old 10-06-08, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

I have never heard of a silver version outside of a repro catalogue I am afraid.
They have been sold on ebay as an NCO's badge but it was by an unscrupulous seller who I would not trust.

Alan
Old 10-06-08, 09:22 AM

IMO the 20H kings crown pattern badge should only be made in either Gilt, Bronze or Brass. Any white-metal badge IMO is a fake.
However, I will not dismiss out of hand JJ's claim of a bi-metal one and would be very interested in seeing the pictures of this badge.
STM.
Old 10-06-08, 09:36 AM

Red face Repro's etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
I have never heard of a silver version outside of a repro catalogue I am afraid.
They have been sold on ebay as an NCO's badge but it was by an unscrupulous seller who I would not trust.

Alan
Alan,
Thanks for the info. I can see that the only way I am going to find out whether what I have is good or not is when I send them all to auction.
As I have hundreds, I don't suppose you are aware of an "organisation" that will do this - so that I can clear out any rubbish now? I remember hand-carrying some stuff to Wallis&Wallis down in Hove many years ago, but as far as I am aware, they don't do this anymore.
What "we" need is a reference book on re-strikes/copies, isn't it...

Rgds, David
Old 10-06-08, 09:59 AM
Badge Guru

Wise words STM. See the NCO badge to the far left. I have included two OR's to prove that this is not a trick of camera exposure.

Old 10-06-08, 01:13 PM

JJ,
I think the badge being worn by the NCO is indeed the normal other rank's badge in brass.
The picture below of a 'T' shoulder title if seen at some distance on the shoulder of an old soldier in a black and white photograph, would lead many to believe that it was bi/metal.
I feel strongly that old photographs are very important when discovering what patterns of badges were worn, but I'm not so sure they can be used to distinguish what type of metal they were made from.
If we look closely at the picture, the NCO's badge appears to have brass numerals with a white/metal crown, but then on that basis the 2 lads next to him would appear to be wearing white/metal badges. I believe all three are brass.
All it took to produce the effect below was a slight bend between the T and the 8 and as we know the 20H's badge is notorious for bending (and breaking) at the point between crown and numeral's.
I'm personally not convinced, sorry.
STM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6008797.JPG (34.7 KB, 5 views)

Tags
hussars