British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-17, 12:20 AM

Default Highland Light Infantry Brooch w/ Pix

Hi,

I had trouble with the upload, trying again.

I am a retired US Army officer. I did a two year exchange with the Brits and loved it.

I also collect militaria. I recently found these in a small antique store in New Hampshire.

The larger one is marked RG Lawrie Glasgow.

I know that they are plaid brooches associated with the Highland Light Infantry, but wondering about authenticity, age, worth, history, rarity.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06696.jpg (89.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06699.jpg (83.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 19-10-17, 12:50 PM

The absence of the honour ASSAYE from above the Elephant and the presence of the separate, special scroll for SOUTH AFRICA indicate that this is a piper’s plaid brooch from a Volunteer battalion. It was the practice until after 1908 for auxiliary, ‘volunteer’ units to be forbidden the wearing of honour titles earned by the regular battalions. There are other, probably later examples where the scroll for SOUTH AFRICA is smaller and directly replaces the ASSAYE scroll of the regulars. The crown on both versions is of Tudor type (aka King’s crown) indicating a date after 1901.

As well as the 1st, Regular battalion of the HLI, there were elements of the 3rd and 4th (Militia) battalions employed, as well as composite, so-called Service Companies comprising men from the Volunteer battalions who agreed formally (via a legal process) to forego their mandated home-defence limitation and serve overseas in South Africa. The memorial to the HLI Regiment as a whole can be seen here: http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lanark...owHLIBoer.html

Following the 2nd Boer war, those Volunteer Battalions that had provided men for the deployed Service Companies were awarded the discrete honour SOUTH AFRICA 1900-1902

The more simple, elephant brooch is also for a piper, but this time for the 74th Highlanders (later 2nd Battalion HLI). It is apparently extremely rare and of course pre-1881.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 20-10-17 at 07:22 PM.
Old 19-10-17, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

The SA scroll is datable between 1905, when the Vol Bns (territorial Force from 1908) were awarded the honour for their contribution to the Boer war, and the start of the war in 1914. The SA scroll continued to be the official badge until 1916 but I can't imagine there was much demand for commissioning new pipers broaches in 1914-15!

The fact that the scroll is blank (rather than having 1VB or 2VB on it) suggests that it is the from the 5th-8th TF Bns post 1908.
Old 19-10-17, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info, any ideas as to value?
Old 20-10-17, 07:19 PM

The HLI auxiliary battalion brooch values at around 250 UK £, the 74th brooch is much rarer and will require further research.
Old 18-04-18, 05:55 PM

Hi,

Any idea who I might contact as to value of the rarer brooch? I am interested in selling it.

Cheers,

Gerry