British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-18, 05:49 PM

Another "Newcastle" R Innis Fus (6th BN) was killed during WWI, albeit he was born and his parents lived in Durham and he was aged 26 when he died.
First Name: William
Initials: W
Surname: Robson
DOB: Circa 1892
Birth Town: Shuburn Hill, Durham
Resided Town: Newcastle-On-Tyne
Nationality: British
Date of Death: 03/10/1918
Fate: Killed In Action
Information: Parents: William and Elizabeth Ann Robson, of 23, Coronation St, Sherburn Hill, Durham.
Service Number: 21582
Duty Location: France And Flanders

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 14-04-18 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Typo typed RMF instead of R Innis Fus.
Old 13-04-18, 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the updated info. I will add these finds to my list of Robsons who died during the war. I will have to sift through everything I have over the next few weeks and see if I have any obvious candidates.
Will post update in future if have found anything.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old 13-04-18, 06:17 PM

I just realized that the original image I uploaded seems to be very different from the one now on the website. My original image was 1MEG in filesize and is way more superior to the one on this website. Is there a way I could upload the actual better quality image I have ?
Because I have recently looked again at the original photograph with a magnifying glass, and noticed what appears handwriting along the cap just below the badge. I am going to scan this using 1200 DPI to see if I can make out this writing and upload that bigger image onto this forum. Should I instead find an external website to post the image at and link it to this site instead?
I find it strange why there would be handwriting on the outside of the cap - was this a usual practice I wonder, maybe its the name of his regiment?
I will re-post when I have scanned this picture again.
Thanks.
Paul.
Old 13-04-18, 06:53 PM

The forum software reduces image sizes, this can result in loss of definition.
Old 13-04-18, 07:18 PM

Sometimes the chinstraps were slit and plaited although it looks a plain strap to me.
There appear to be letters, possibly mirror image above the badge - print transferred from a nother photo or piece of paper?
Old 14-04-18, 07:20 PM

Default Tyneside Inniskillings

Sadly the badge being worn hasn't been positively identified as either N.F. or Inniskillings, on top of which many of you will be unaware of the fact that during the early stages of the Great War(1914/15) the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were allowed to recruit directly from Tyneside, with the aspect of forming a "Tyneside Company" of 250men and as such advertisements were placed locally asking for men to come forward.
So successful was the campaign to recruit from this region that a second company was to be raised to be followed by more men and it is estimated that eventually around about 1,000 men from this region served with the Inniskillings. So it is quite possible he may have been the one that High Wood has named.
Old 14-04-18, 07:44 PM

Nothing to do with much but checking on a grandfather's unit (East Surreys) during WWI a few hours ago I found a comment about a south London man joining up in London and being posted to the R Innis Fus.
The badge silhouette would also fit the R Munster Fus but I'd not mentioned that as whatever the design on the ball is it doesn't seem to fit their tiger and scroll.
But who knows? A good high res. Close up of that cap badge would help, and names of parents.

And I've just realised I typed RMF instead of R Innis Fus in post no. 16.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 14-04-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 18-04-18, 02:09 PM

Link...to 600 DPI version of G. Grandad William Robson.
https://ibb.co/hsdxz7

I have a link above to the better quality photo that I initially posted. I didnt realize photo quality would be hindered on posting and assumed you all could see what I was seeing. You can see a little more clearly the badge in this image. I am still going to post a 1200 DPI version though I doubt it will be much better.

Thanks everyone for recent posts, Leigh & Phil2M. Thanks Graham Stewart I have noted poster HighWood regarding candidate in R Inniskilling service no 18610. I have him as candidate but there is no DOB or parents I can find, so could be anyone.

I am continuing to search for links in 1939 register to find my William via my aunti who stated she visited the Robsons in Harvey Street, Byker in 1947. That is the only other solid link I have beside anything this photo offers.

If any of you can see anything else of note in this new image please post anything you have.

Many thanks,
Paul.
Old 18-04-18, 02:51 PM

If I had to put money on it I would say The Skins
Old 18-04-18, 03:08 PM

Very difficult to call as it appears to have a very strange scroll but is in fact the bottom of the grenade. I would go with Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robson.jpg (36.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 18-04-18, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Inniskillings for me with the flat horizontal line of the castle's base.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=76717
Old 18-04-18, 03:17 PM

The flames appear smaller than I thought on the latest photo.
Is there an embossed postmark on the photo in the area of the cap?
Old 18-04-18, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Very difficult to call as it appears to have a very strange scroll but is in fact the bottom of the grenade. I would go with Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Correction: the "strange scroll" is of course the Inniskilling title.
Old 24-04-18, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys everything appears to be pointing toward him being Inniskilling. I have a possible candidate to look into with help from these posts. I will repost an update asap.
Paul.
Old 24-04-18, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The flames appear smaller than I thought on the latest photo.
Is there an embossed postmark on the photo in the area of the cap?
I have no idea but this has been the problem for me too, in that the flames don't look typical of NF nor even to RI to some degree. I would have to really inspect the photo physically to find out more, but don't want to damage it further as it is also covered in old cellotape.

I think the candidate High Wood originally showed me is very good candidate for William Robson. Now just got to see if anywhere has more info on him other than WarGraves website.
Many thanks again to all.
Paul.