British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-12-12, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#199 View Post
Gentlemen

I just received the attached picture from my sister in law, who was born and raised in South Africa. She has since moved to Canada and was awarded Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee Medal.
What does she do for a living? as there is a cirtria for award of the QDJM

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 25-12-12, 04:48 PM

Default QDJM

Mike

Yes there is criteria, I am not aware as to what it is in England but in Canada it was:

Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada

Have made a significant contribution to a particular province, territory, region or community within Canada, or an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada.

Be alive on February 6th, 2012

I nominated her for the Medal. She has been a Canadian citizen since 2003 and she has embraced Canada since moving here. She has taken in children from our Northern Territories for a month during the summer to help them see what big city living is all about and the major contribution is that she has worked with the native community in the poorest community in Winnipeg, Manitoba. This is a community in Winnipeg that going into it during the day as a white person, you should be okay. At night if you are white, you should be in a group and have a weapon or you just might not come out alive. Organizing running groups on a weekly basis. She organized and just completed the first 5 and 10 K run in that community which will be a yearly event. She also runs Marathons around the world representing Canada, one of them being an Ultra Marathon, Comrades. in South Africa. She has done it back to back proudly wearing the red Maple Leaf of Canada.

Jack
Old 25-12-12, 04:50 PM

Default QDJM

Mike

Sorry I did not say what she did for a living, she is the head of a computer department for a major company in Winnipeg, Manitoba Hydro.

Jack
Old 02-01-13, 04:59 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Brilliant Jack,

With the ever increasing number of scum-bags in the world, it's always refreshing to read of someone doing good for others, you must be proud of your association with her.

Dave.
Old 02-01-13, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#199 View Post
Mike

Yes there is criteria, I am not aware as to what it is in England but in Canada it was:

Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada

Have made a significant contribution to a particular province, territory, region or community within Canada, or an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada.

Be alive on February 6th, 2012

I nominated her for the Medal. She has been a Canadian citizen since 2003 and she has embraced Canada since moving here. She has taken in children from our Northern Territories for a month during the summer to help them see what big city living is all about and the major contribution is that she has worked with the native community in the poorest community in Winnipeg, Manitoba. This is a community in Winnipeg that going into it during the day as a white person, you should be okay. At night if you are white, you should be in a group and have a weapon or you just might not come out alive. Organizing running groups on a weekly basis. She organized and just completed the first 5 and 10 K run in that community which will be a yearly event. She also runs Marathons around the world representing Canada, one of them being an Ultra Marathon, Comrades. in South Africa. She has done it back to back proudly wearing the red Maple Leaf of Canada.

Jack
There have been some great choicesof people to receive the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal. Many of them, like your sister-in-law, are being recognized for their contributions to the community. It's a nice way to publicly thank people who make a difference.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 03-01-13, 12:12 AM

Philip, Thanks for that. I did mean to add 'in the UK'

The critera in the UK was much tighter and was awarded to those in the Armed Forces, Emergency Services, and Prison Service personnel with 5 years or more service.

The Canadion system sounds much fairer.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 03-01-13, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Philip, Thanks for that. I did mean to add 'in the UK'

The critera in the UK was much tighter and was awarded to those in the Armed Forces, Emergency Services, and Prison Service personnel with 5 years or more service.

The Canadion system sounds much fairer.
It would be nice if Canadian military personnel received the medal under the same terms as UK military.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 03-01-13, 07:08 PM

Default Help Please

Dave

Yes it was a pleasure nominating my sister in law.

I also nominated a son of Kathie's cousin. He is a full time employee of a company, He is also a volunteer fireman and has been for 10 years, He is also an Auxiliary Cst with the RCMP, a full time husband and father as well as volunteering for a bunch of duties in his community and coaching his son and other young lads in various sports.

I nominated a retired RCMP Officer who among his 40 years of service to the RCMP and various coaching/volunteering duites he did in the community, he was also head if the Integrated National Security Section in British Columbia that was formed after 911 as well as across Canada. In this capacity, he was one of a few individuals who went to Iraq on a Mission to free some Canadian and British hostages. He worked very closely with the Canadian military and British SAS, I believe. They were successful in getting them out.

I nominated a fourth individual, who I thought was a shoe in for the Medal. He is 87 years old and served in the British Navy during WW 2, he was a member of the Palestine Police from 1946 to 1948. He then came to Canada and joined the RCMP in 1950 and retired in 1974. He has volunteered in may capacities in his travels throughout B.C. and to this day still volunteers at a local Air Museum. The first two got the Medal and the 87 year old who has done the most did not get it. The process was that you had to nominate the person through your local Member of Parlaiment. He had the task of going through the nominees and selecting 30 people.

I do not know if this was the criteria but it just so happened that 15 females got the Medal and 15 males got it. I think it was a little bit of being Politically Correct as opposed to who deserved it the most. He did not get the nod where as people, who as a music teacher, taught a number of kids how to play the Ukelele and then toured with them as good will ambassador, got it. It just did not seem fair. Oh well, 3 out of the 4 people I nominated got it.

Jack
Old 25-04-17, 05:38 AM

Default Hugh merton Graham

Hi gents,

This is my great grandad, I knew he settled in South Africa and have never seen his medals or know much about him after he split from his first wife (my great grandmother), I have photos of him just after ww1 please get in contact I would love to hear more about him. My dad and grandad both served in the armed forces, his courageous heroics continued on through them.

James Christopher Merton Graham