British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-18, 07:54 AM

1923 is when the first printed 'Instructions for Dress' were issued by the UDF. That is not to say certain things weren't (or were) worn before then.

I had a look at the picture in the official history too but couldn't really make out whether it's all four colours as the text implies or just chocolate and green (the regimental colours).

The late Sgt Andy May would've known when what was worn as he made quite a study of NMR uniforms and insignia and did the displays for their regimental museum. The next best thing would be to find regimental dress instructions or period photographs from the time.

What I do know however is that 'Rough but Ready' had by then replaced 'Just and Frank' as the motto.
Old 26-02-18, 09:08 AM

Very nice indeed, Iain, not common these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Colin Owen has the NMR, 3rd MR, "3" with helmet flash worn from 1914; this is when the SAMR were formed

Attachment 185029

I must say though, that Dudley Wall also dates the flash to 1923.
Having said that most helmets in the photos in the book "Urgent Imperial Service," have flashes on them.

regards, Iain
Old 26-02-18, 12:07 PM

Thanks Frank,

it took a while to find it; I bought the 2 parts separately; the numeral sometimes come up but seldom with the flash

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Very nice indeed, Iain, not common these days.
Old 26-02-18, 12:12 PM

As I said previously, in GSWA most units wore a flash but difficult with black & white photos to say definately what they are.

I tried to Google an Andy May print but there wasn't a NMR one for that period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhistry View Post
1923 is when the first printed 'Instructions for Dress' were issued by the UDF. That is not to say certain things weren't (or were) worn before then.

regards, Iain

I had a look at the picture in the official history too but couldn't really make out whether it's all four colours as the text implies or just chocolate and green (the regimental colours).

The late Sgt Andy May would've known when what was worn as he made quite a study of NMR uniforms and insignia and did the displays for their regimental museum. The next best thing would be to find regimental dress instructions or period photographs from the time.

What I do know however is that 'Rough but Ready' had by then replaced 'Just and Frank' as the motto.

Tags
nmr, sa aviation corps, sadc