British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-18, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMPEY621 View Post
Soooooo is this a genuine Leeds Corporation Tramways badge?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282929814...517&rmvSB=true

Steve
No. It’s the standard fake with a fake Fattorini mark.

Post #4 of the linked thread I recommend shows one.

Last edited by Luke H; 18-04-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 18-04-18, 11:56 AM

As Alan rightly points out, Leeds Pals were not slidered.

For me, the first thing I look at is the small Owl: if his head is over his chest, it's fake. Note the head position in relation to the chest on this good one.

I know there are other things to look out for, but this will sieve out the vast majority of bad ones.

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9982 (1).jpg (118.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 18-04-18, 12:39 PM

In the absence of the thanks button,

Luke/Alan/Gerard/Hoot and Tim, thanks for your valued insights and pointers.

The search continues better armed and more knowledgeable........

Steve
Old 18-04-18, 06:05 PM

Default Leeds tramways/park keepers whatever . . !

I bought one of these for 17/6 (87.5p) some fifty five years ago, the most expensive badge I'd bought at this stage of my collecting when on apprenticeship money from a seasoned collector who probably thought it was the real deal.

I still have it on my West York board along with an original with lugs as a reminder that not everything is clear-cut in the world of badge collecting.

Rob
Old 18-04-18, 06:29 PM

This album has several Leeds Pals badges. Some good, some bad and one thats bloody ugly. The silver one is worth pointing out. Single issue, private purchase presented to all officers at Leeds town hall by the Lord mayor. He instigated the battalion and raised much money for the unit. Only 25 of these exist!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...mid=175&page=3
Old 18-04-18, 06:34 PM

Duplicate entry, Deleted.
Old 18-04-18, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
This album has several Leeds Pals badges. Some good, some bad and one thats bloody ugly. The silver one is worth pointing out. Single issue, private purchase presented to all officers at Leeds town hall by the Lord mayor. He instigated the battalion and raised much money for the unit. Only 25 of these exist!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...mid=175&page=3
Hi Dave,

Really lovely album. Wondering what your thoughts are on this badge offered by Bosley’s in their Dec 2015 sale and described as ‘‘Leeds Pals rare WW1 silver Kitchener’s Army cap badge. A fine die-cast heavy unmarked example comprising the Arms of Leeds. In answer to Kitchener’s call 15th (Service) Bn (1st Leeds) raised September 1914; 17th (Service) Bn (2nd Leeds) raised December 1914. VGC Original stout brooch pin’’

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...7-a56000c9c527

I notice the coat of arms is significantly different to the genuine ORs badge, the tramways and the fake... very interesting. I really like the wise and quizzical expression on the owls faces! The pin back possibly points in direction of sweetheart maybe?

Cheers,
Luke
Old 18-04-18, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMPEY621 View Post
Soooooo is this a genuine Leeds Corporation Tramways badge?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282929814...517&rmvSB=true

Steve
Steve, the Leeds City Tramways personnel never wore any badge remotely resembling the Pals badge at all. I don't know if any other Leeds municipal department did or not but the Tramways never did at any time. Their's was a completely different badge altogether.
Old 22-04-18, 02:18 PM

Hi Luke,
Thanks for the feedback on the album, a lot of years pulling it together,i think i have seen an example of the Bosley badge for sale at Outwood many years ago. Fat, dwarven budgies cast with a solid flush back. Not really sure what it is but its not one of the 25 presentation pieces given by the Lord Mayor, these were definatley die struck. It could be private purchase or simply a sweatheart i`m not sure though probably sweatheart as you say. Still a nice badge and one i would like in my collection if i ever get a chance again (kicking myself i did not pick it up first time but £50 seemed a lot of money at the time).

regards, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Hi Dave,

Really lovely album. Wondering what your thoughts are on this badge offered by Bosley’s in their Dec 2015 sale and described as ‘‘Leeds Pals rare WW1 silver Kitchener’s Army cap badge. A fine die-cast heavy unmarked example comprising the Arms of Leeds. In answer to Kitchener’s call 15th (Service) Bn (1st Leeds) raised September 1914; 17th (Service) Bn (2nd Leeds) raised December 1914. VGC Original stout brooch pin’’

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...7-a56000c9c527

I notice the coat of arms is significantly different to the genuine ORs badge, the tramways and the fake... very interesting. I really like the wise and quizzical expression on the owls faces! The pin back possibly points in direction of sweetheart maybe?

Cheers,
Luke