British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-18, 03:08 AM

Default Interesting Finds Cap Tallies......

Here are a few interesting cap tallies that I picked up at the Gun Show here in Calgary today.....

Just thought you might be interested and would like to find out exactly what dates for them......

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040133.JPG (50.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1040135.JPG (41.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1040136.JPG (53.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1040137.JPG (52.1 KB, 36 views)
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 01-04-18, 12:38 PM

Default Interesting Finds Cap Tallies .......

Hi Mike

A nice selection of tallies! I especially like the Mine Clearance Service tally.

At the end of the Great War, the Admiralty appointed an International Mine Clearance Committee on which 26 countries were represented. The Supreme War Council allotted each Power an area to clear, the largest falling to Great Britain. Some 40,000 square miles of sea needed clearing. In February 1919 a Mine Clearance Service was formed with special rates of pay and conditions of service. Members of the service wore Royal Navy uniform with a special metal cuff badge and cap tally. By the end of 1919 over 23,000 Allied and 70 German mines had been swept with the loss of half a dozen minesweepers. The Mine Clearance Service was disbanded in 1920.

Pete
Old 01-04-18, 01:27 PM

Thank You Pete......

Mail reason I purchased them was that I had never seen them before..... They were below one that I used to wear H.M.C. Radio Station which is not that common in it's self..... To be used for only about a year so there cannot be two many out there..... The Combined Operations is also interesting as I have the medals to a man who served in the Boer War right up to WW2 and was in command of a Comb. Ops. Base......

Mike
Old 01-04-18, 01:34 PM

Default Interesting Finds Cap Tallies .......

Re the other tallies.

The Royal Fleet Reserve was established in 1901 to provide a reserve of trained ratings and petty officers for the Royal Navy. It was composed of men who had served full time with the Royal Navy or Royal Marines. Enlistment rules changed over time but generally a man joined the Royal Navy for a number of years followed by a number of years in the Royal Fleet Reserve. During his time in the RFR he carried on with his civilian occupation unless he was required by the Navy, such as in wartime. The Navy Reserve Act 1900 initially created two classes of reservist:
Class A reservist - men under 45 in receipt of a life pension and who possessed a specific skill such as Seaman Gunner, Signallers, etc.
Class B reservist - men who had served 12 years in the Navy or a minimum of 4 years and purchased their discharge.
Class C reservist (new class introduced in 1903) seamen ratings who entered for 7 years in the RN followed by 5 years RFR or in the case of stokers, 5 years RN followed by 7 years RFR.
Members of the RFR were recalled for service in both World Wars and in Korea.

Re the Combined Operations tally. These are more usually found as Combined Ops and I think they relate to the 1950s and 1960s. Others may be able to confirm this.

HMRML stands for HM Rescue Motor Launch - these were Fairmile 'B' class boats. Over 650 Fairmile 'B' class boats were built between 1940 and 1945 and they undertook a variety of tasks. The Rescue Launch variant had a small sickbay aft of the engine coaming and were numbered in the series RML 492 to RML 500, and RML 511 to RML 553. A word of caution ! I have seen MANY examples of tallies to HMRML 495.

Pete
Old 02-04-18, 03:46 AM

Thank You very much Pete......

Mike