British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-11, 05:55 PM

Default South Wales Borderers Variation

I was intrigued by this one when I saw it on ebay and decided to go for it because of the backing cloth.

It is damaged on the front but taking off the backing, which is black felt, reveals a good early period badge. More important however is the pattern of the sweat/braize holes.

I have recorded four different patterns previously but have never seen this type with small oblongs behind the battle honour and at the top of the 'W'. Two small circular indents are also present behind the upright of the 'B' and the top curve of the 'S'.

Has anyone else come across this style of manufacture?

As to the black felt backing I have no idea. The regimental facing colour being green of course.

Hwyl pawb,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SWB 1941.jpg (100.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg SWB 1945.jpg (101.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg SWB 1966.jpg (96.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg SWB 1968.jpg (102.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 31-03-11, 06:04 PM

Hi 41st,
I will check mine out and get back to you.Looking at the damaged SWB that type of overlay was used on the smaller Edwardian version if my memory serves me right ?
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 31-03-11, 06:30 PM

Shwmae Bantam,

Ydy yn wyr.

Have a look at my other post regarding the SWB. The style of lettering is mentioned.

Hwyl,

41st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Hi 41st,
I will check mine out and get back to you.Looking at the damaged SWB that type of overlay was used on the smaller Edwardian version if my memory serves me right ?
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 31-03-11, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
I was intrigued by this one when I saw it on ebay and decided to go for it because of the backing cloth.

It is damaged on the front but taking off the backing, which is black felt, reveals a good early period badge. More important however is the pattern of the sweat/braize holes.

I have recorded four different patterns previously but have never seen this type with small oblongs behind the battle honour and at the top of the 'W'. Two small circular indents are also present behind the upright of the 'B' and the top curve of the 'S'.

Has anyone else come across this style of manufacture?

As to the black felt backing I have no idea. The regimental facing colour being green of course.

Hwyl pawb,

Kevin
Hi Kevin, there was a black backing to the badge in the centre of the circlet on the 1912 pattern Universal Helmet plate (star) as a standard fitment. This was the last pattern before the demise of full dress, so there can't be many of them about. For the officers version it was black velvet, but for ORS black felt. On modern helmets as used by the bands this backing was often changed to red, but for the 1912 pattern helmet black was standard. The original intention was that the badge could be taken off the helmet and used on the forage cap. The first pattern helmet plate centre (with QVC) had the wreath around a dragon but I understand that the final pattern (with Imperial Crown) was as per the cap badge. The illustrations show the black backing and the different crowns, but not all are SWB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manchesterhelmet.jpg (64.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1902helmet2.jpg (16.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg swbhelmetbadge.jpg (83.1 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 31-03-11 at 09:31 PM.
Old 31-03-11, 07:30 PM

Removed as doubled up.
Old 31-03-11, 07:32 PM

Toby,
Thanks for that. I'd missed that possability, which is shameful of me as I'm primarily a Victorian collector and have a large number of helmet plates available to check.
It would make sense to have the same colour backing on the 1898 pattern badge as previously worn to back the glengarry badge.
By the way, I think you'll find that the sphinx in the centre of the helmet plate and glengarry pre-dated the dragon, this of course while they were still the 24th Foot.
Kevin
Old 31-03-11, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Toby,
Thanks for that. I'd missed that possability, which is shameful of me as I'm primarily a Victorian collector and have a large number of helmet plates available to check.
It would make sense to have the same colour backing on the 1898 pattern badge as previously worn to back the glengarry badge.
By the way, I think you'll find that the sphinx in the centre of the helmet plate and glengarry pre-dated the dragon, this of course while they were still the 24th Foot.
Kevin
Yes of course, mea culpa, the Spinx was the earlier version. Until 1881 and the Cardwell Reform, 4-years after the universal helmet was first taken into use, the 24th were still the 2nd Warwickshire Regt, so the version with dragon postdates that and would have been the second version, but the first version for 'SWB'.
Old 23-12-12, 09:43 PM

Default 6th SWB

This Battalion was part of 'K3' raised in 1914 and which became the Pioneer Batt'n of the 25th Div.

They went overseas in Sept 1915 but prior to that suffered the extreme equipment shortages that the most of the 'New Armies" experienced at that time.

As a result they did not receive cap badges when the uniforms were first issued and had to make do with the celophane pin badge shown.

I know that at least two other Welsh units did something similar (11th Welsh and one of the RWF units).

Does anyone have an example of this badge that they could post please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 1.jpg (63.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 17-11-17, 03:48 PM

Default MM Richardson & Co

I have put this one up previously but don’t think we came to a conclusion. It looks to be a genuine example with a number of sweat/braize holes to the rear but has a Richardson & Co maker mark stamped on the slider which I have never seen on any other badge.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D47A7944-F672-4FCF-8596-57BB7566D112.jpg (120.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 6D6FC2FA-CB55-4686-98A2-931843E6BE38.jpg (124.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 13-01-18, 10:14 AM

Bump
Old 13-01-18, 12:29 PM

Just a thought but could Richardson have been a Taylor's or other suppliers of uniforms and kit like some of the other named badges you occasionally find, perhaps someone knows how to find who and what they did at the address at differing times 1900-50.
Old 13-01-18, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

That address is not for an outfitter but for a very old London pub!

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/sur...95-307#h3-0012

Looks dodgy to me as I don't think the Golden Lion pub sold badges.
Old 13-01-18, 06:36 PM

There may also have been more than one king st that has now been renamed.
Old 13-01-18, 09:09 PM

The SW1 postal district might be a clue as to its age.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 14-01-18, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
There may also have been more than one king st that has now been renamed.
Not in this case as they are the same street in the same SW1 postcode.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ki...hrome&ie=UTF-8