British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-15, 11:11 AM

Default ACF wearing Wessex Brigade/Regiment Cap badge

This picture appears to show's members of the Wiltshire ACF wearing the Wessex Brigade/Regiment Wyvern cap badge.

If indeed I am interpreting it correctly does anyone know how long it was worn by this County and if any others wore the badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wessex.jpg (64.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 16-04-15, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

http://somersetarmycadetforce.co.uk/he1/he2.html

According to Somerset ACF, the ACF cadets wore their local TA regts insignia up to 1968. I know for a fact that Dorset ACF were back wearing D&D cap badges in the 1980s although the TA regt was the Wessex Regt and wore the Wyvern.
Old 16-04-15, 11:58 AM

Most including Wiltshire as far as I was aware retained their old County Cap Badges up untill the demise of the old TA in 1967. I assumed they then went straight across to the D of E.
Old 16-04-15, 06:30 PM

We wore it on the Isle of Wight, early seventies, before re-badging to RCT about 1972(?).

Got quite nostalgic when joining the TA in 1977 and being badged . . .
. . Wessex!
Old 17-04-15, 11:23 AM

I can help here on a personal level. My brother was in the Bristol Clifton ACF in the early seventies.
He wore the aluminium gold Wessex cap badge on his black beret. The embroidered Gloucestershire yellow sphinx on black shield on one arm and the embroidered Somerset gold on green wyvern shield on the other arm.
Old 17-04-15, 11:58 AM

It sounds like a few counties wore it for a period.

The poster of the picture is suggesting that it is early 60's but I would tend to suggest later.

One of my detachments locally has just rebadged to RTR.
Old 21-04-15, 03:38 PM

I have since learnt that with a few exceptions all of Wiltshire rebadged to DERR in 1976 so this leaves 9 years gap between the disbandment of the TA Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment and this.

An enquiry to their HQ has not been responded to but sense would seem to suggest the Wyvern was worn during this period. I would find it hard to believe they carried on wearing the badge of a disbanded regiment.
Old 11-11-15, 12:15 PM

Spoke to an ex-Wiltshire cadet and who later served as an adult today who confirmed that he wore the Wessex Brigade Cap Badge for a number of years.

This appears to answer my original question and most Wessex Counties would appear to have worn it for a while.