British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-18, 10:34 AM

Default Combination - 1st Middlesex, 15th (Scottish) Inf Div

Can anyone confirm if the attached combination patch is from the 1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment? I understand that they joined 15th (Scottish) Infantry Division as the Support Battalion in Oct 1943, later becoming the Machine Gun Battalion in Mar 1944.

Also, how would the square patch with diagonal split, have been worn?

I am assuming these are from 1st Middlesex, given that were together with 'Middlesex' metal shoulder title.

Any insights appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180210_101536.jpg (49.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180210_101539.jpg (64.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180210_101524.jpg (29.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180210_101555.jpg (35.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-02-18, 11:46 AM

I believe that the version - a square with a diagonal division was worn as a diamond - the division being vertical. This shape was worn - in various sizes - by 9 Middlesex converted to 60 SL Regt converted to 126 LAA Regt and post-War by 595 LAA Regt RA(TA) (size for the latter being 35mm x 35 mm). The diamond was also worn by some Battalions as a cap badge backing. The flash - as a rectangle - was worn by I Middlesex (15 (S) Inf Div) and 2/8 Middlesex (61 Inf Div). It was worn as a triangle by 1/8 Middlesex (38 Inf Div), 8 Middlesex (43 Inf Div), 2 Middlesex (3 Inf Div) and 2/7 Middlesex (1 Inf Div), Comments and corrections very welcome. Examples from 2 Middlesex, 3 Inf Div attached. Mike
2 Middlesex lot.jpg
Old 10-02-18, 12:00 PM

Nice explanation. Did other regiments wear the diamond? I recall that the Militaria Magazine (Issue 107 pg 54) had a picture of the diamond used in the formation badge of the Cheshire MG battalion in the 50th Division.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patch.jpg (47.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by William Brooks; 10-02-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I believe that the version - a square with a diagonal division was worn as a diamond - the division being vertical. This shape was worn - in various sizes - by 9 Middlesex converted to 60 SL Regt converted to 126 LAA Regt and post-War by 595 LAA Regt RA(TA) (size for the latter being 35mm x 35 mm). The diamond was also worn by some Battalions as a cap badge backing. The flash - as a rectangle - was worn by I Middlesex (15 (S) Inf Div)... Mike
Attachment 184400
Thank you very much Mike for the confirmation on the 1st Middlesex combination! Also, for the additional info.

The diamond measures 45mm x 45mm, so presumably 9th Middlesex / 60 SL Regt / 126 LAA Regt.
Old 10-02-18, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post
Thank you very much Mike for the confirmation on the 1st Middlesex combination! Also, for the additional info.

The diamond measures 45mm x 45mm, so presumably 9th Middlesex / 60 SL Regt / 126 LAA Regt.
At that size more likely to be a cap badge backing (1.75 in x 1.75 in)?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=33&ajaxhist=0
Old 10-02-18, 01:22 PM

Hi Mike, do you think that a cap badge backing would have been sewn onto the khaki backing?
Old 10-02-18, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike, do you think that a cap badge backing would have been sewn onto the khaki backing?
You'll have to ask an expert on cap badges - which I am not! I just think that it is a bit too large to be a battalion flash. Mike
Old 10-02-18, 02:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
You'll have to ask an expert on cap badges - which I am not! I just think that it is a bit too large to be a battalion flash. Mike
Noted! ...and your knowledge of the battalion flashes is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-02-18, 02:38 PM

If you can track down a copy of the French publication Militaria No 339 (published in 2016) you'll find an excellent article on a former SNCO in 1 Middlesex, 15 (S) Inf Div - copiously illustrated. Mike
Old 10-02-18, 03:50 PM

Mike; Did you see my question above? Just curious. This question has me stumped for years. Any insight would be great. Thank you, Bill
Old 10-02-18, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Brooks View Post
Nice explanation. Did other regiments wear the diamond? I recall that the Militaria Magazine (Issue 107 pg 54) had a picture of the diamond used in the formation badge of the Cheshire MG battalion in the 50th Division.
I think that the diamond shaped flash worn by the Cheshires was distinctly different in size, shape and colour (cerise and buff?) from those worn by battalions of the Middlesex Regiment. These two illustrations are the best I can do. 5 Cheshire was the MG Bn of 53 (W) Inf Div. I'm afraid I don't know who owns the BD blouse illustrated. Apologies. Mike
5 Cheshires, MG Bn 38 Inf Div.jpgCheshires 53 Div.jpg
Old 10-02-18, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if the attached combination patch is from the 1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment? I understand that they joined 15th (Scottish) Infantry Division as the Support Battalion in Oct 1943, later becoming the Machine Gun Battalion in Mar 1944.

Also, how would the square patch with diagonal split, have been worn?

I am assuming these are from 1st Middlesex, given that were together with 'Middlesex' metal shoulder title.

Any insights appreciated!
The 1st Middlesex in 15th Scottish Division were not "the" 1st Middlesex. They were captured at Hong Kong in December 1941. I believe that the army simply renamed a Middlesex TA battalion as 1st Middlesex, but I do not have Joslen to hand.

I found it interesting that the medal ribbon of the Burma Star you show would not have been worn by the 15th Scottish that fought in NW Europe.

Did the ribbon bar come with the cloth items? I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe that one of the original 1st Middlesex captured at Hong Kong would have been entitled to the Burma Star. Also, more likely to have been wearing metal titles.

My father was in 1st Middlesex in 15th Scottish and his effects included the triangular flash. I had assumed 1st wore it, but your item shows that not to be the case. So, either he wore it at 26 MGTC at Chester whilst waiting for demob, or he traded it with another Middlesex soldier.

Last edited by BWEF; 10-02-18 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 08:54 PM

The 1st Middlesex in 15th Scottish Division were not "the" 1st Middlesex. They were captured at Hong Kong in December 1941. I believe that the army simply renamed a Middlesex TA battalion as 1st Middlesex, but I do not have Joslen to hand.

The original 1 Middlesex went into Suspended Animation in early 1942. 2/8 Middlesex ( the Support Battalion of 61 Inf Div in Northern Ireland) was in due course redesignated 1 Middlesex and joined 15 (S) Inf Div. At that point the triangular flash (worn cerise to the front) was taken down and replaced by the rectangular flash.
Old 10-02-18, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post

I found it interesting that the medal ribbon of the Burma Star you show would not have been worn by the 15th Scottish that fought in NW Europe.

Did the ribbon bar come with the cloth items? I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe that one of the original 1st Middlesex captured at Hong Kong would have been entitled to the Burma Star. Also, more likely to have been wearing metal titles.

My father was in 1st Middlesex in 15th Scottish and his effects included the triangular flash. I had assumed 1st wore it, but your item shows that not to be the case. So, either he wore it at 26 MGTC at Chester whilst waiting for demob, or he traded it with another Middlesex soldier.
Hong Kong personnel, if they met the criteria, would have been awarded the Pacific Star not the Burma Star.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-02-18, 01:02 AM

I found this link useful regarding the different Middlesex battalions:

https://vickersmg.wordpress.com/in-u...esex-regiment/