British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-12, 07:34 PM

Thumbs down Helmet plates, old and new

Hello folks. Is it just me or are all forms of helmet plates being reproduced now? I've picked a repro officers vol universal helmet plate lately for a pitance and have seen a few more for sale in local 'antique' shops. Also someone tried fobbing off some tarleton name plates as original to me at a carboot recently and only asked for 15 squid? Bearing in mind I've seen three tarleton nameplates in as many months makes me highly suspicious. Has someone found the original dies or are we looking at recuts? I don't get to see the market as often as I used to so all opinions welcome.
“Where are my friends? They have not been many – not real friends – but it seems a fateful thing to be a friend of mine. Yet what is my loss compared with that of the parents, and wives? Even now my senses are numbed: I wonder will reality force itself on them soon.”

Major EEF Baker 25th November 1917
Old 11-07-12, 10:21 PM

They are also repo'ing Chapka Plates, I have noted a few 16th Lancer copies over the last few months......

Cheers
Jim
Old 12-07-12, 10:25 AM

Default Tarleton Nameplates

[QUOTE. Also someone tried fobbing off some tarleton name plates as original to me at a carboot recently and only asked for 15 squid? Bearing in mind I've seen three tarleton nameplates in as many months makes me highly suspicious. Has someone found the original dies or are we looking at recuts? I don't get to see the market as often as I used to so all opinions welcome.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lincolnsreg

I was given a set of Tarleton nameplates only yesterday evening to the Northamptonshire Yeomanry. They are well produced, in what looks like aged brass, thin so would conform easily to the front of the helmet but without any form of fixings or holes to stitch them on to the leather skull. Following your post I no longer believe I have won the lottery but would like to hear of other members views.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 12-07-12, 10:34 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Gordon,

If you were given them, I doubt if there is the same feeling of loss if they do turn out to be dud but what if you have dropped on and they are just " unfinished " ? could that be a possibility ??

Dave.
Old 12-07-12, 12:27 PM

Hi Dave

On the face of it they do seem to be unlikely contenders for "find of the year"
Nor do I think that if they are reproductions (highly probable) that anyone will hold his hand up.
But hope springs eternal!!

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 12-07-12, 05:29 PM

Hi Gordon. I saw some northants yeomanry plates myself a few months ago, selling for £40. I missed them as they had gone by the time I went back. A couple of weeks ago there were some Derbyshire ones I picked for 15 for my father to complete an original tarleton. The chap selling them and some from the 17th light dragoons was telling me they are original, but I argued they weren't otherwise the price would be much higher. I wonder if they are Victorian copies which have come out of a collection or old works in the last year? One thing I do believe is follow your nose, and these were not 200 years old. It's a sad thing that only perhaps 1% of any badges today are reproduction.
“Where are my friends? They have not been many – not real friends – but it seems a fateful thing to be a friend of mine. Yet what is my loss compared with that of the parents, and wives? Even now my senses are numbed: I wonder will reality force itself on them soon.”

Old 12-07-12, 05:32 PM

Unhappy

Or real I meant

Old 12-07-12, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnsreg View Post
Hi Gordon. I saw some northants yeomanry plates myself a few months ago, selling for £40.
Hi Lincolnsreg

Just the fact that there now appears to be more than one of these on the market does tend to suggest that that someone is turning them out. If, however, on examination and slower evaluation by members of the Forum this is proven not to be the case then we are onto a winner.

But don't hold your breath!!

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 13-07-12, 08:01 PM

Would you start an auction of a genuine example of this helmet plate at the figure this one is starting at ?

P.B.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-Servi...item35be3f05dd

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 13-07-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 13-07-12, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Would you start an auction of a genuine example of this helmet plate a the figure this one is starting at ?

P.B.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-Servi...item35be3f05dd
I have been watching his Y&L plate. Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to make these (and I mean recently).

Ivan
Old 13-07-12, 08:23 PM

To be fair to the seller he does state

"Due to the never ending debate on originality of badges you must purchase this badge assuming it is not"

So he is covering himself.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 13-07-12, 08:31 PM

Malc,
I think he is playing his "get out of jail free " card.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-07-12, 08:52 PM

He certainly is Peter.

Any 'dealer' with any real knowledge would know the difference between a modern copy and a 100+year old genuine example.

Ivan
Old 13-07-12, 09:44 PM
guest123a

Default \HONEST COPIES

I hve deleted this as the contents of my post were not relly to applicable to this thread.

Last edited by guest123a; 14-07-12 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Contents of post not really applicable to this thread