British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-11, 02:08 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Default Probable fakes - Confirmation appreciated

The first three badges came from an antiques shop in London. The seller claimed to have no idea if they were genuine or not. I've looked at several threads relating to each one and have concluded they are poor quality immitations. It would be nice to have the back-up of forum members before I start demanding refunds. For those who are wondering - they were £15 each reduced from £22. The tank corps badge is a seperate purchase but another I'm curious about. Can't find a matching image (in brass) in my books.

1st Battalion Blackpool Volunteers:

The lady in wales strikes again.
Glazy, unsharp finish to rear.
Too good to be true anyway.

Lancashire Hussars:

Zero definition around the centre of the rose.
Missing letter right-hand side of scroll. Seems to read Lancashire Hussars.I - Should be I.Y?

Liverpool Scottish:

Poor definiiton on reverse particulary to the face. I believe this is not an expensive badge so I am surprised to find one faked.

Tank Corps

Not sure about the slider, direction of tank or the material (wm/brass)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00845.jpg (64.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00844.jpg (84.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00841.jpg (58.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00840.jpg (60.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00838.jpg (80.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00837.jpg (97.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00849.jpg (63.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00848.jpg (69.4 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Mr.P.Dreary; 09-07-11 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added another badge for identification
Old 10-07-11, 07:01 AM
Peter J

Tony,

Looking at your Lancashire Hussars, it appears to be the pre-1908 Imperial Yeomanry pattern, but with the letters 'I' & 'Y' missing.

(Hope you don't mind me reproducing your image to illustrate the area I am referring to):

LH.jpg

The post-1908 Lancs Hussars scroll (which would not have the letters 'I' & 'Y') would have the lettering of the word 'Hussars' extending to the end of the scroll, whereas this example appears to stop short where the 'I' & 'Y' should be.

I don't have an example of my own to use for comparison I'm afraid, but there are a few examples pictured in THIS THREAD.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

[Edit - Apologies... just realised that you had already pointed this out ].

[Edit #2 - here is a temporary link to an Imperial Yeomanry badge currently for sale on Robbie's site: http://www.deadspartan.co.uk/shop/vi...h=10481&phqu=2 ]

Last edited by Peter J; 10-07-11 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Cos I'm a plonker and didn't read the original post properly!
Old 10-07-11, 09:18 AM
Mr.P.Dreary

Thank you Peter. I edited my original post yesterday evening after realizing why the scroll appeared to be too long. Taking a critical look you can clearly see the letter 'I' after the dot. It's a little difficult to photograph. I can't make out the 'y' at all. The remainder of the lettering appears crisp and detailed.

Last edited by Mr.P.Dreary; 10-07-11 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

The Liverpool Scottish is a definate fake.
Old 10-07-11, 03:00 PM

Hi There
The RTR cap badge looks as if its been repairded with a replacement slider 2 lug sections left and right of the slider also it may have been a silver plated example looking at the edges and in the lower regions other wise looks ok Steve
Old 10-07-11, 04:04 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Liverpool Scottish:

I'm annoyed with myself for buying this one. I don't know much about spotting fakes but I do know poor definition is a significant indicator.

RTR:

I have to learn to look closer. Hadn't even considered the possibility of a replacement slider even though it didn't look right. Nice to think it's a badge with a bit of history instead of just a copy.

Thank you for your comments.